2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with distributor 5.9 gas 2500

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:48 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Take it for a drive, The pcm needs to get readings for all the sensors at different rpms not just idle.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Yep. You can start it up, make sure it will idle on its own, (might take a few minutes to figger that one out, or not.....) then just drive it normally. PCM will figger it out.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:16 PM
akauto
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i reset the pcm started it (hard start mind you) drove it for about 15 minutes took it on the highway (first time since ive owned it i took it up that fast) Still idles at 600 and seems like its chugging at stops and stopped at lights. Sort of pulsing. Also there is a tremendous noise coming from the trans tunnel area when i let off the gas (ujoint issue maybe?) And the abs and brake lights popped on when i turned on my street. Possibly from corrosion from sitting? Truck sat for almost 2 years i think because the previous guys thought the tranny was blown. That was governor pressure solenoid issue. It didnt generate a check engine light...yet. worried that maybe the 8 spark plug is missing due to a clogged cat? Heard that was an issue with these. Truck has a ton of miles on it. Any input would be great. Thanks

Old 05-12-2015, 06:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Take off the throttle body, and thoroughly clean it, make sure to remove the IAC motor on the back of the TB, and clean it's bore REALLY well.

While its off, take a look down into the plenum area of the intake, if you see oil pooling in there, it's time to fix it. Burning oil destroys cats, and O2 sensors, and can give you a whole host of strange running problems.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:38 PM
akauto
Amateur

I just did the intake gaskets when i did the disttibutor. That was maybe a week and a half ago. The throttle body wouldnt budge off the intake when i had it out. All the bolts were out but that thing wouldnt move. I never cleaned the IAC when i had the intake off either. Any tricks to getting the throttle body off...without smacking it with a hammer?

Old 05-12-2015, 07:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Four bolts and a paper gasket....... If it is stuck on there, that may be part of your idle problem. (indicates a LOT of crap there.)

If it is truly reluctant, put a drift against it at the base, and tap GENTLY till it lets go. (a drift is simply a punch, with a blunt point. That way, you try and MOVE things, rather than put dents in the metal.)

Old 05-12-2015, 07:25 PM
akauto
Amateur

i tried to clean it best possible when the intake was off. Basically what youre saying is even if the butterflies are clean looking they may not be clean enough and there may be built up junk in there causing issues. Also a dirty IAC can makes things difficult too

Old 05-12-2015, 07:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If the IAC ports are plugged up, the PCM simply won't be able to get enough air into the engine for it to idle properly. (low idle....) Same goes for if the IAC has simply failed....

Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 PM
akauto
Amateur

If the IAC is bad or plugged wouldnt it throw a code or not necessarily? I may be able to get to this tomorrow or thursday. I will keep you updated. Can i test the IAC in any way to see if its bad?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not recommended to try and test it..... too easy to screw 'em up. And no, it won't necessarily set a code.

Quick Reply: Help with distributor 5.9 gas 2500