2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case 4x4 vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:06 AM
Eagleye134
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case 4x4 vacuum lines

Soo I got my engine out of my truck, a 1996 5.9L with a 46RE trans; and noticed that the lines coming from the transfer case dont look right. My question is what are they for (from the 4-line connector at the case) and where do they hook up? I have the red and black ones perfect and redone, but the green and white vacuum lines are open at the ends, where do those hook up? Also I have another vacuum line (or so I think it is a vacuum line, but its just a big black rubber line) with a bracket held on by one of the trans to block bolts, what is that for because it has a metal line coming out of it but that metal line has rusted and broke and just sitting there open.

Last edited by Eagleye134; 07-07-2015 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

White vacuum line goes to the bag 'o snakes on the passenger side rear of the engine. That's source vacuum for the 4x4. The green line is just a vent, position it up somewhere out of the way. Do not cap it.

Large hose is vent line for the t-case, or front axle. Same thing there. Up high, not capped.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:02 PM
Eagleye134
Amateur

White line to the reservoir lines with the check valves correct? I got a factory vent plug that fell off from the green line ima put back on. The black rubber line I could just leave alone correct? Where did that metal line use to hook up?

Last edited by Eagleye134; 07-07-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Metal line probably used to have just a cap on it, so it was vented, but, was less likely to suck water. It didn't hook to anything. Line was just hung out of the way somewhere. (likely had a bracket that bolted to one of the bellhousing bolts.)

On the rest, yep, should work just fine.

Old 01-02-2021, 09:12 AM
JDoubs
Question Questions of vent lines

Originally Posted by HeyYou
White vacuum line goes to the bag 'o snakes on the passenger side rear of the engine. That's source vacuum for the 4x4. The green line is just a vent, position it up somewhere out of the way. Do not cap it.

Large hose is vent line for the t-case, or front axle. Same thing there. Up high, not capped.
What do you mean by bag of snakes it all started when my original V10 puked out put in another and never marked anything I have no 4x4 I found vent hoses off of transfer case green and white but have no idea where they hook up

Old 01-03-2021, 10:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The white line goes to all the vacuum lines on the passenger side of the engine. Green line is just a vent, and was tucked up out of the way behind the engine. (yeah, that should be fun with the 8.0, just not a lotta room back there......) Do your HVAC vents work properly?

Old 01-03-2021, 10:39 AM
JDoubs

ya not alot of room at all behind motor I found a bunch of vent hoses some hooked up some not. Does it matter if I just hook them up I can try to send a pic of what I'm looking at today. The hvac system never really tried the truck is usually just used as my plow truck but I did see a aluminum line has a kink in it I'll give a try later on. I am working on my charger today pulling 383 out to put 440 in. But I will get a pic for you though thanks for the help I'm lost when it comes to this

Old 01-03-2021, 10:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

We want pics of the charger too.

If you don't have one yet, get a service manual for your truck from here. Pretty sure there are diagrams of the vacuum lines in there. (finding them might be fun....) This is something I get to play with soon as well, as my 4x4 has become reluctant to engage.... but, it's COLD out, and snowing... don't have heat in my garage, and I am in self-quarantine for a few more days yet, as I was exposed to sick people...... (I have no symptoms as of yet, and it's been more than a week......)

Old 01-12-2021, 10:58 PM
Xombi
Professional
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sonnex in their instructions for the screw in adaptor states you have to revert to the old rooster comb. Master tech said the valve bodies as well. Is there a difference between valve bodies? Could as 2001 go on a 2002 case?
Contact a chrysler dealer with serial numbers of transmissions? To see if the valve body is the same?

Old 11-26-2021, 11:53 PM
justin935

Extremely helpful guys my father passed when I was 11 I'm 26 now and I'm on my second trial run doing a motor swap on his 99 2500 and thanks to you guys I know why I have no 4x4 consider I melted the white line when I did the first motor swap 5 years ago screw that junkyard motor bs she's all brand new now 4 grand later

Quick Reply: Transfer case 4x4 vacuum lines