2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No overdrive 46re

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 11:21 AM
dtope
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No overdrive 46re

I've got a 2001 dodge ram 4x4 that I had to replace the tranny once I got it all back together there is no overdrive. The overdrive off button works but nothing happens because it's still in 3rd gear. There is no attempt at all to even go into overdrive. I have replaced all the sensors and solinoids and still nothing.
I have another 46re and I thaught about swapping the overdrive part but thaught I'd get someone else's advice first.
Another thing, the harness that plugs into the tranny that goes to all the solinoids might be damaged, there's probably 10 wires or so in that harness. If one of them was damaged would that affect the overdrive? The harness plug looks fine but my son said he thought there might be a fraud wire in there.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:13 PM
Erik P
Rookie

Sure could be. RE are electronically controlled, and it's the computer that puts the trans into O/D. Definitely check the harness out first.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:42 PM
dtope
Amateur

Originally Posted by Erik P
Sure could be. RE are electronically controlled, and it's the computer that puts the trans into O/D. Definitely check the harness out first.
I forgot to mention the tranny I put in was from a 1998. Would the wires in the factory hrness still go to the correct places in the 98 tranny?

Old 02-10-2016, 01:57 PM
dtope
Amateur

Originally Posted by dtope
I forgot to mention the tranny I put in was from a 1998. Would the wires in the factory hrness still go to the correct places in the 98 tranny?
I can't see anything wrong with the harness, is there anyway to test the wires?

Old 02-10-2016, 06:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

In 2000, some of the sensors changed, though the wiring harness did not. If you put in sensors for an 01, then something is strange, if you put in sensors for a 98, then it simply isn't going to work the way you want. I *think* the mounts for the governor pressure sensor/solenoid also changed at the same time, but, rumor has it, you can just grab the right stuff from the dead trans, and transplant them into the new one. I don't *think* you need to change the whole valve body, but, not 100% sure on that.

Is the trans temp light coming on as well?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:45 PM
dtope
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In 2000, some of the sensors changed, though the wiring harness did not. If you put in sensors for an 01, then something is strange, if you put in sensors for a 98, then it simply isn't going to work the way you want. I *think* the mounts for the governor pressure sensor/solenoid also changed at the same time, but, rumor has it, you can just grab the right stuff from the dead trans, and transplant them into the new one. I don't *think* you need to change the whole valve body, but, not 100% sure on that.

Is the trans temp light coming on as well?
No, the trans temp light is not coming on. I replaced everthing in the '98 tranny with '98 parts. Is that what you were asking?

Old 02-10-2016, 07:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Yep. And that is your problem. They didn't change much, but, they changed enough that the older parts aren't compatible with the newer computer. If you still have the old valve body around, (or, the whole trans...) drop the pan on your 98 trans, and compare. You *might* be able to just put in the right sensor/solenoid, and the clip that holds them in place, and be done.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:42 PM
dtope
Amateur

Yep. And that is your problem. They didn't change much, but, they changed enough that the older parts aren't compatible with the newer computer. If you still have the old valve body around, (or, the whole trans...) drop the pan on your 98 trans, and compare. You *might* be able to just put in the right sensor/solenoid, and the clip that holds them in place, and be done.
Ok, ill swap them out tomorrow and let you know what happens. Thanks

Old 02-11-2016, 08:05 PM
dtope
Amateur

I swapped everthing but still messed up. It starts out in 3rd then goes to overdrive, but runs about 2000 rpms at 55mph. Push the o/D off button and it drops into 3rd and jumps to 2500 rpms. I can manually put it in 1st then shift to 2nd then drive. Im at a loss for words. I got no idea what it going on......

Old 02-11-2016, 08:29 PM
Erik P
Rookie

If the trans works manually, it's definitely an electrical/sensor error. So just to clarify your starting in 3rd, leaving you with only 3-4 shift then converter lock-up?

Quick Reply: No overdrive 46re