2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Making a plenum plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
A wretched hive of scum and villainy?
What? Is the site hosted in Washington DC?

Old 02-29-2016, 02:12 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A wretched hive of scum and villainy?
Just in case ya ain't noticed it yet: It's the meritorious good citizens who make life difficult for themselves and everyone else, and as in any other congregation it's that lot bringing any wretchedness as may exist hereabouts.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:18 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess no one here has ever watched Star Wars.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Han fired first.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:40 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure I did. The good guys were the villainous rebel scum who sought to overthrow an oppressive government. Always an honorable and worthwhile undertaking, that.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:46 AM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
Well there are plenty of people out there (including me) that will disagree with you. The paper thin piece of steel that was used don't hold up, That's why they leak in the first place. Chrysler had a TSB about it. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/09-05-00.htm Just get a piece of aluminum and use the gasket as a template. You can make one in no time and it's cheaper than what Hughes is selling them for.
One would think if it was flexing and allowing room for movement the gasket would get sucked into the manifold. Yet, I've never seen that on any forums or groups or pictures or anything. In fact, I've only seen it get pushed out. As if the junk gasket that Dodge used swelled and softened with oil soak. I don't believe in the plate or the bolt theories and have seen several fixed just fine with the updated gasket and proper tq. My 2 cents

Old 03-01-2016, 12:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by dapepper9
One would think if it was flexing and allowing room for movement the gasket would get sucked into the manifold. Yet, I've never seen that on any forums or groups or pictures or anything. In fact, I've only seen it get pushed out. As if the junk gasket that Dodge used swelled and softened with oil soak. I don't believe in the plate or the bolt theories and have seen several fixed just fine with the updated gasket and proper tq. My 2 cents
It's entirely possible that the "new" design gasket is thicker than the stock one was, and that solves the problem.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

I guess the upgraded gasket will work but since the original design was know to start failing around 120K (if yours didn't consider yourself lucky) i thought an up grade would be a better route. That's what Hughes thought also that's why they have the plate. I got the failing mileage reference form another forum i'm on. There was a pool at what mileage did you replace your plenum? No matter if the gasket get sucked in or it blows out(backfire through the intake) it is still moving. The intake manifold should have been a one piece design and not even have a plenum gasket!

Old 03-01-2016, 04:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Moparite
I guess the upgraded gasket will work but since the original design was know to start failing around 120K (if yours didn't consider yourself lucky) i thought an up grade would be a better route. That's what Hughes thought also that's why they have the plate. I got the failing mileage reference form another forum i'm on. There was a pool at what mileage did you replace your plenum? No matter if the gasket get sucked in or it blows out(backfire through the intake) it is still moving. The intake manifold should have been a one piece design and not even have a plenum gasket!
I can agree with that thought. My firebird had an intake manifold that consisted of no less than six pieces...... that was fun to get everything to seal up on.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:51 PM
must6655
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few plenum repair plates , plenumrepairplate.com, 70 bucks includes shipping...

Quick Reply: Making a plenum plate