2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Making a plenum plate

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by must6655
I have a few plenum repair plates , plenumrepairplate.com, 70 bucks includes shipping...
I've bought from this guy, and I've bought from Hughes. The only difference I could see was that Hughes costs more. I used Dorman gasket kits, something Hughes says is a no-no. The gaskets haven't been a problem.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:36 AM
TarheelDodge
Amateur

I bought an 1/4" aluminum plate, traced the gasket, trimmed to fit and trimmed the new pan hardware. All less than $60 and some cussing. The peace of mind is worth the headache. Dodge should have made the intake manifold one piece, the idiots. My experience is "new" ain't always better. Good luck, Greg

Old 09-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

What he said! I believe i also mentioned making it. 1/4" plate a drill and a jig saw(or band saw it you have one) and some time then you are set. I would buy the fel pro gasket though.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

When I made mine, I found working the aluminum was quite difficult. Which is why I elected to buy one from the guy previously mentioned (for my other engine.) On Ebay. Aluminum has a lower melting point that steel, it gums up saw blades and grinding wheels. As for gaskets, any set will do if you use Permatex copper rtv. Goop the sumbitch in.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:08 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

You are not supposed to grind aluminum! You can sand it. Use a mixture of kerosene and oil on the saw blade and that will keep it from getting clogged.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:15 PM
olefart

local shop cut mine with a plasma torch using my steel one which had blown out the sides between the bolts which mine where short enough just to much expansion differences with the temps running high, climbing up and down the hills they build our roads on out west here, stay in town or flat country you can get away with the steel plate but not if your getting it heated up drive up and down the hills. mine hasn't been on long enough to see if it has solved the problem for me, will know after my trips down south during the winter, from sea level to over 9,000ft can heat your engine up a lot an eye has to be on the temp gauge so it don't get to bad.

Quick Reply: Making a plenum plate