2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer case output shaft seal, pinion seal, speed sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016 | 08:31 PM
Mechanical_Tree
|
Rookie
Default Transfer case output shaft seal, pinion seal, speed sensor issue

My new truck hates me. My first week driving this thing. The other day in traffic the exhaust fell off because the poor maintenance of the previous owner. Today at work I cut, welded, and supported my exhaust.
I noticed the transfer case output shaft seal and pinion were leaking. I ordered a pinion seal it's a few days out. I had some extra time today after welding the exhaust, so I dropped my rear drive shaft. Loosened the 8mm bolts , stuck a pry bar in there and popped the drive shaft free. (After marking with a pen some lines for reassembly.) I popped the seal out of the transfer case and went to put the new seal Napa sold me. Well the seal was the wrong one it didn't fit. And they dontt sell one that did fit.
I have a 241hd per my build sheet. The tag on my t-case says 241dhd???
Is there a difference in the seal for HD and regular 241?? Does anybody know a part number? The seal Napa sold me was for a 241or a 231 but didn't say hd I filled my truck up with fluid and drove home but now I'm leaking like a siv in ssmy driveway.

Also now my pinion seal, probably from removing the driveshaft is even worse and leaking bad as well!! I'm waiting on that seal.

Also when I went to leave work my speedo stopped working but I didn't touch it, all I did was drop the drive shaft and check the dif fluid. Now my speedo isn't working and I have a p0500 for speed sensor failure. Is there a tone ring or something in the dif that could be messed up?is there a way to clean the speed sensor see if it'll work again??

97 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9l gas 5speed two Dana axles the rear has 4.10 with 33's 241hd t-case with I believe n4500 tranny

Last edited by Mechanical_Tree; 03-11-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2016 | 08:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

there are parts manuals available in the FAQ section for download as well. Might wanna lock up the mopar part number, and have a parts store cross-reference it.

Is the rear pinion loose at all? Can you rattle it around on the outer bearing? If not, just replacing the seal should solve that for ya. Just pay attention when you torque down the pinion nut again.

241DHD is just the dodge version of the heavy duty 241.

The speed sensor on your truck is a gear driven VSS, that should be in the tailshaft housing of your t-case..... did you simply forget to plug it back in? Did the gear fall out?

Old 03-11-2016 | 08:50 PM
Mechanical_Tree
|
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
there are parts manuals available in the FAQ section for download as well. Might wanna lock up the mopar part number, and have a parts store cross-reference it.

Is the rear pinion loose at all? Can you rattle it around on the outer bearing? If not, just replacing the seal should solve that for ya. Just pay attention when you torque down the pinion nut again.

241DHD is just the dodge version of the heavy duty 241.

The speed sensor on your truck is a gear driven VSS, that should be in the tailshaft housing of your t-case..... did you simply forget to plug it back in? Did the gear fall out?

Ohhhh!!! There doesn't seem to be any play or slop in the pinion. I'm pretty sure there wasn't. I do pinions on larger class 4 to 7 trucks at work. So it should all be pretty straight forward.
Thanks on the heads up on the parts manual on the FAQ
Also I thought the speed sensors were on the rear axles. I must have knocked that sensor on the transfer case loose. The previous owner had it ziptied in place cuz he broke the bolt. Eventual I will drill and tap it. Probably sooner then later because of the speedo not working. It's dark now but I'll def go check the sensor on the t-case tomorrow.

By the way we were talking the other day about my rear axle being a 4.10 the build sheet verified it. It's got the tow package the plow package the heavy duty package and a camper package.
Also there were blocks in my rear and spacers on my front shocks

Old 03-11-2016 | 11:41 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

The speed sensor is offset. If it's turned wrong the teeth won't touch.

Old 03-12-2016 | 08:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, the speed sensor is indexed, depending on what color gear you have. (that info is in the service manual, I think.)

98 and up trucks used the rear wheel speed sensor (on the diff) for the speedo as well, and the sensor on the output of the t-case went away.

Pinion seal should be no trouble at all for you then.

Your trucks had like 3" blocks stock, also incorporated the bump stops into those blocks. Are yours taller than that? Is there more than one on each side?

Spacers up front indicate at least a leveling kit.

Old 03-13-2016 | 09:19 AM
Mechanical_Tree
|
Rookie

Yeah, the speed sensor is indexed, depending on what color gear you have. (that info is in the service manual, I think.)

98 and up trucks used the rear wheel speed sensor (on the diff) for the speedo as well, and the sensor on the output of the t-case went away.

Pinion seal should be no trouble at all for you then.

Your trucks had like 3" blocks stock, also incorporated the bump stops into those blocks. Are yours taller than that? Is there more than one on each side?

Spacers up front indicate at least a leveling kit.
Thanks for clearing up the speed sensor thing. In regards to 97 being on the t-case and 98 being on the dif.

I called Chrysler and got a part number for the seal they didn't have any in stock.
For future reference the output shaft seal on a 241dhd is 5086054aa
Napa crossed it and gave me the right seal thus time which was p\n 22049
I popped the old seal out, put the new one in and topped it off.
I also wiggled my speed sensor.
Hopped in a went for a drive. My speedo started working again (I really gotta fix that mounting bolt that's broken)
My CEL turned off and no more transfer case leak.
Now I'm going to watch my diff and Friday I'll fix my pinion seal. I also bought a manual yesterday haynes.

Snapped a photo of my rear blocks too for ya!

Sorry not the greatest my tablet doesnt take the best photos but is better to access this site then my phone

Old 03-13-2016 | 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, that's the stock block. So, apparently, just a leveling kit on your truck.

Getting steel bolts out of aluminum housings is fun...... Good luck with that.

Old 03-13-2016 | 11:20 AM
Mechanical_Tree
|
Rookie

Yeah, that's the stock block. So, apparently, just a leveling kit on your truck.

Getting steel bolts out of aluminum housings is fun...... Good luck with that.

That sound horrible! Lol what are u referring too!!!!??

Old 03-13-2016 | 11:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The bolt that is supposed to clamp your VSS in place. If any of it sticks out, might be able to weld a nut to it, and extract it that way.... if not.... might be easier to just replace the housing.

Old 03-13-2016 | 12:01 PM
Mechanical_Tree
|
Rookie

The bolt that is supposed to clamp your VSS in place. If any of it sticks out, might be able to weld a nut to it, and extract it that way.... if not.... might be easier to just replace the housing.
Ugh, well my father in law is a machinist, he gave me a few Carbide drill bits. Wonder how that would do. Then tap it or helicoil?

Quick Reply: Transfer case output shaft seal, pinion seal, speed sensor issue