2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hellacious grinding

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:46 AM
bikersurgeon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hellacious grinding

Greetings! I've a 1999 Ram 2500 V10 that I recently brought back from the dead after a pack rat had chewed most of my wiring and vacuum lines off. I took the opportunity to change the CAD unit over to a manual cable collar engager. the splines on the partial axles look good, and the collar slides easily enough, I haven't pulled the axle to examine the collar splines though. my problem: when I put the transfer case in 4H or 4L AND engage the axle coupler, when I start moving I have a terrible jerking/popping/grinding sound. this stops if I disengage the coupler even if I leave the transfer case in 4H/L. if I put it up on jack stands and engage the coupler it makes no noise at idle in drive, but will make noise if I hit the accelerator. the drive shaft U joints and hub U joints have no slack. I double checked the collar and it is definitely slid all the way over. wonder what else to check? if it was the chain in the transfer case wouldn't it make the noise if the transfer case was in 4H/L even if the collar was disengaged? do those collar splines commonly strip? Yoke splines maybe? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Need to determine where the noise is coming from. With the truck up on jackstands, have someone else put it in 4wd, apply a bit of gas, and step on the brake to load the driveline. Should be fairly obvious where the noise comes from then. Please be very careful though, stuff can grab you, and wrap you up in less than a second. Not a pleasant way to end the day.

Welcome to DF!

Old 03-14-2016, 12:07 PM
bikersurgeon

ah! Thanks for the advice, I will do that tonight. Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking here for about a month and have learned a GREAT DEAL of info! Great forum.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:54 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure your shift fork is installed facing the correct direction.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:50 PM
bikersurgeon

Thanks guys. The fork is the right way and the collar is where it is supposed to be. Here's where we are: had my lovely wife get in the truck on jack stands and goose it then hit the brakes...the noise is in the transfer case. In 4h the noise is in the rear output Shaft area...when she hits the brakes it makes the hellacious noise and the rear drive shaft moves a bit before the rear wheels stop. In 2H this does not happen. Everything up front sounds good. I assume a gear in the transfer case has broken teeth. Question: the tag says np 241DLD. I cannot find this listed as standard on ram 2500v10, they all list d or hd. My local salvage yard has lots of 1500s. If I need to replace might some of these work? Thanks again.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:51 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might want to do a search for the transfer case saver. A snap ring on the output shaft likes to pop out of place and wreak havoc.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:21 AM
bikersurgeon

Thanks! If it was a snap ring off the rear output shaft wouldn't it be noisy in 2h also?

Old 03-16-2016, 08:21 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bikersurgeon
Question: the tag says np 241DLD. I cannot find this listed as standard on ram 2500v10, they all list d or hd. My local salvage yard has lots of 1500s. If I need to replace might some of these work? Thanks again.
No. 1500s have 231 transfer cases. The DLD was specific to the 47RE (and maybe RH?) transmissions. This basically means you'll need one from a V-10 or a diesel.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:10 AM
bikersurgeon

Thanks guys! Could a stretched chain jumping teeth explain my symptoms? If so it doesn't look like a terribly hard thing to fix myself....found the field service manual here on the forum! Love this site

Old 03-16-2016, 02:52 PM
slimjim9059

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
No. 1500s have 231 transfer cases. The DLD was specific to the 47RE (and maybe RH?) transmissions. This basically means you'll need one from a V-10 or a diesel.
Yes to 46RH with a 241 DLD

Quick Reply: hellacious grinding