2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

parasitic draw and P01765 and P0753 codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 04:58 PM
bunker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default either way

Originally Posted by Moparite
Jumping the relay: ??? Did you jump a ground to it so it stays on? If so that would cause the drain. Or did you jump the relay completely and give 12v+ to the trans? You need to remove the jumper and and figure out whats going on. By you jumping the relay may have cause the codes. PCM will turn on the relay when needed.

I dig what your saying and no its not the reason im getting the code, all the jumper does for me is to stop the eng lite from coming on 24/7 if I put the relay back in the eng lite and code comes on as soon as I start the truck all the time. with the jumper in there is no code or lite until I stop the truck and turn off the engine then restart it. as I said above I can drive 1000 miles with jumper in and never see a lite or code as long as I don't shut off the truck. if I shut off truck and don't reset pcm the code pops up and eng lite comes on. as soon as I can I`m going to take a few pics of the jumper.

Last edited by bunker; 04-08-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,256 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Have you tried replacing the relay?

Old 04-10-2016, 07:21 PM
bunker
Professional
Default realy

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Have you tried replacing the relay?

Oh yea that was the first thing I did, and tried 2 more just for kicks

Old 04-11-2016, 07:56 PM
bunker
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
Jumping the relay: ??? Did you jump a ground to it so it stays on? If so that would cause the drain. Or did you jump the relay completely and give 12v+ to the trans? You need to remove the jumper and and figure out whats going on. By you jumping the relay may have cause the codes. PCM will turn on the relay when needed.

the jumper is only there until I find the real problem. The jumper is not the problem its only to stop the lite and codes for a bit.

I don't think folks are understanding what im trying to say here. the jumper is there so the codes and lights wont come on unless I drive the tuck then stop turn off motor then crank it back up. with the relay in the codes and lite comes on first I time I crank it. I can have the jumper in and drive hundreds of miles and never see a code or lite as long as I don't cut off the engine and re crank it, in other words drive none stop for 1000 miles none stop and will never see a code/lite

my back went out so havnt been able to take some pics I will asap.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:17 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bunker
I don't think folks are understanding what im trying to say here. the jumper is there so the codes and lights wont come on unless I drive the tuck then stop turn off motor then crank it back up.
Myself, I understood that just fine. I just want to get my head around the current state of the thing so I might be helpful rather than just noisy.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:52 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I'm still not clear on exactly which relay you are jumping. And are you jumping the normally open contacts?

Old 04-12-2016, 11:49 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 361 Likes on 339 Posts

He is jumping the transmission relay in the engine compartment. It's not clear if he jumped a ground to it (this will cause it to be engaged constantly and drain the battery when not running) or bypass jumped it completely. When engaged it supplies positive power to all the solenoids/sensors in the trans. If the relay is not responding to the signal from the pcm that may be the cause of the codes.

P1765 Trans 12 Volt Supply Relay Control Circuit
P0753 Trans 3-4 Shift Solenoid/Trans Relay Circuits

Old 04-12-2016, 12:26 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So, either way, that could be his drain.

Easy, remove the jumper for a few days and see if the battery holds a charge. Or, hook up an amp meter (they have some DC clamp-on ones these days) to see if that jumped relay is the drain. Once we get the drain figured out, we can move on to the codes.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:01 PM
bunker
Professional
Default yea i know u understand

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Myself, I understood that just fine. I just want to get my head around the current state of the thing so I might be helpful rather than just noisy.

I know you got it I was wondering if I was explaining it good enough for others. im still down in my back ill get pics up asap

Old 04-12-2016, 02:03 PM
bunker
Professional
Default either way

Originally Posted by dbbd1
So, either way, that could be his drain.

Easy, remove the jumper for a few days and see if the battery holds a charge. Or, hook up an amp meter (they have some DC clamp-on ones these days) to see if that jumped relay is the drain. Once we get the drain figured out, we can move on to the codes.
I tried both ways with and without the jumper both drain the same way. that's why I`m leaning to somewhere between the fuse and tranny or fuse and pcm or fuse and relay box, and being I cant read the schematic I don't know where to trace the wires.

Quick Reply: parasitic draw and P01765 and P0753 codes