2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Ram 2WD 1500 front hub not tight after torqued

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Brakes. Lines. That's about it. I think you have already replaced everything else....

Old 11-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Mark S.
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, ball-joint press is a great tool, some people use a hammer and torch, not recommended. While you are in there, make sure control arm bushings are good, not loose, severely cracked or oil soaked. Also check shocks, sway bar link bushings and steering stabilizer shock for looseness.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:09 AM
aggiejet
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Brakes. Lines. That's about it. I think you have already replaced everything else....
I did calipers and brake lines about a year ago. 😀

Old 11-02-2016, 11:18 AM
aggiejet
Professional

Originally Posted by Mark S.
Yes, ball-joint press is a great tool, some people use a hammer and torch, not recommended. While you are in there, make sure control arm bushings are good, not loose, severely cracked or oil soaked. Also check shocks, sway bar link bushings and steering stabilizer shock for looseness.
I noted the control arm bushings were cracked and dry looking. Not real sure what the rest of the stuff is you describe. There are some half dollar sized rubber grommets that have a 3/8" metal rod perpendicular to lower control arm that look cracked/old.

Put new shocks and struts about 2 years ago. I was surprised the shop that did that did not recommend any of those other components. Again leading me to question the level of expertise and/or experience you get at the "tire shop."

Thanks

Old 11-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Mark S.
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Control arm bushings are probably OK, unless rubber is shot. Those rubber grommets are the stabilizer link bushings, they come in a kit, very inexpensive. They will cause rattle if they fail. You may have a shock type device attach to the steering linkage, disconnect and check for looseness or lack of resistance. Steering dampener will help with steering play, but also tends to mask other steering problems.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:45 PM
aggiejet
Professional

Finally got to work on the truck again and got it all out back together.

Drives great with new ball joints and tie rods. Worst part was getting the runner boots installed on the lower ball joints. ��

Just got back from getting an alignment and I have a significant disparity in the length of the tie rods, and started a new thread for that. I have a little play in the steering wheel and will look at the dampener for that.

Thanks for all the help!