2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyway to Confirm a Bad PCM - 96 Ram 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 09:25 PM
3badbirds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyway to Confirm a Bad PCM - 96 Ram 5.9

I recently cleaned the throttle body and replaced the 3 sensors on my 96 Ram 2500 5.9l (auto, 4x4). Unfortunately, when I went to start her up I noticed the check engine light was on with error code 24 - tps out of range. I verified I had installed the tps sensor correctly. I then pulled the connector from the TPS and found 5v on the outer contacts, which is normal, but also found I had 5v coming from the center signal wire on the connector (i.e., not from the tps itself) which is not normal. I assume these 5v coming from the PCM is the cause of my error code. I traced this signal wire to pin 23 of the PCM (black) and there were no shorts.

My trouble shooting guide suggests that this is a symptom of a bad PCM but I wanted to check with others before I lay out the $$$$ for a new computer. Is there anything else I should/could check or another way to test the PCM? I know it seems strange that this problem would popup after I messed with the TB and all those sensors. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thx!

Old 11-05-2016, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

if you don't have continuity between any of the three wires, with both ends unplugged, and you still get 5v on the signal wire with the TPS unplugged, that does indicate a bad PCM......

Old 11-05-2016, 09:38 PM
3badbirds

Thanks HeyYou!

Just to clarify, by both ends you mean the tps and the PCM connector, right?

Originally Posted by HeyYou
if you don't have continuity between any of the three wires, with both ends unplugged, and you still get 5v on the signal wire with the TPS unplugged, that does indicate a bad PCM......

Old 11-05-2016, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Correct.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:01 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

It is good to keep a spare PCM handy if you plan to keep the truck a while. I found that out the hard way once when I bricked my PCM with a faulty SCT tune. You can typically find a good used PCM at a reasonable price on eBay or locally at a pick+pay style salvage yard.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:56 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 3badbirds
I recently cleaned the throttle body and replaced the 3 sensors on my 96 Ram 2500 5.9l (auto, 4x4). Unfortunately, when I went to start her up I noticed the check engine light was on with error code 24 - tps out of range. I verified I had installed the tps sensor correctly. I then pulled the connector from the TPS and found 5v on the outer contacts, which is normal, but also found I had 5v coming from the center signal wire on the connector (i.e., not from the tps itself) which is not normal. I assume these 5v coming from the PCM is the cause of my error code. I traced this signal wire to pin 23 of the PCM (black) and there were no shorts.

My trouble shooting guide suggests that this is a symptom of a bad PCM but I wanted to check with others before I lay out the $$$$ for a new computer. Is there anything else I should/could check or another way to test the PCM? I know it seems strange that this problem would popup after I messed with the TB and all those sensors. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thx!
the pcm may run a bias voltage on the signal wire and that is what you are reading with the connector unplugged. this is normal on all the new trucks. the new trucks measure 5 on the ref, 5 on the signal and 0 on the grd. with the connector unplugged you should set a circuit high dtc. when the signal is jumpered to the grd wire...you should set a circuit low dtc. if this is the case the wiring is good, replace the tps...if the dtc stills sets, replace the pcm.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:11 AM
3badbirds

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
It is good to keep a spare PCM handy if you plan to keep the truck a while. I found that out the hard way once when I bricked my PCM with a faulty SCT tune. You can typically find a good used PCM at a reasonable price on eBay or locally at a pick+pay style salvage yard.
I know these computers control a lot of functions. If I go the used route do you have to make sure there is an exact match above and beyond the year and engine model. For example, do I need to check that the donor truck has the same transmission, speed control, 4x4, non-California emissions, etc???? My buddy had a spare PCM for his 97 Ram with the same engine and when we swapped it in my 96 truck it would just crank..

Old 11-06-2016, 09:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Same engine and trans, and emissions equipment, the rest doesn't really matter. Getting one from a 96 would be best.... I think parts stores sell remans for around 250 or so.... they come with a warranty.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:12 AM
3badbirds

Thanks to everyone for their help! More to come.....

Old 11-06-2016, 10:26 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
the pcm may run a bias voltage on the signal wire and that is what you are reading with the connector unplugged. this is normal on all the new trucks. the new trucks measure 5 on the ref, 5 on the signal and 0 on the grd. with the connector unplugged you should set a circuit high dtc. when the signal is jumpered to the grd wire...you should set a circuit low dtc. if this is the case the wiring is good, replace the tps...if the dtc stills sets, replace the pcm.
Great info there! Nice to know, thanks!