2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gaskets with "The Right Stuff" or just "Right Stuff"

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 10:48 AM
chad.taylor.fsu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaskets with "The Right Stuff" or just "Right Stuff"

I was able to locate all the leaks on my motor so I will be replacing the gaskets on the front cover, gear cover, side cover, oil cooler, transmission pan and power steering gasket. I have seen that alot of people recommend "The Right Stuff" but I wanted to know if i should use it with replacement gaskets or by itself? If I use it with the gaskets do I put the sealant on the gasket and let it set for a day or straight on the metal and let it set for a day? Thanks for the help.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:00 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would put a thin layer (a "skiff") on both sides of the gasket and bolt it up. Let it then sit for a day.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:52 AM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With the right stuff rtv don't use a gasket with it. Apply the rtv, leave sit for a couple hours before adding fluids and have at it.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:09 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie
Wink 1999 durango intermittent limp mode 2nd gear only

250,000 , and very hard life. I've been a mechanic my whole life at 61 now and am having problems determining what to change on this 46RE Trans.
It does need a long forgotten fluid and filter change, and will get one ASAP. I was able to fit two bottles Lucas Trans Cure, and it seemed to cure it for two days, or 50 or so miles. This morning cold, shifted perfect then after beginning warm up limp mode occur ed. Engine light on, second gear only and of coarse reverse still not affected or perfect through all of this. Put almost 80 miles on it tonight stop and go and freeway, with no dysfunction or engine light.
Got tired of running all the gas out of this owned since new 5.9 ltr. Great pulling set up by the way. No Durango ordered this heavy duty ever I doubt.
I'm, pulling pan in a couple days. If this doesn't act up until then should I just do the fluid (now dark) and filter, or should I replace the two easy to get to censer and solenoid attached to valve body. I believe the other two you can see are for over drive operations, and am getting mixed information with the need to pull the valve body or not.
Was this thing just gummed up, and should I just start with fluid and filter with band adjustments of coarse. As you know two adjustments available, 46RE.
I have never been a tranny rebuilder but will understand what is thrown my way.
Also let me know if this post is in the correct place on this forum. It's not clearly described to me as to where a new subject post goes.
Thanks so much for any information.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. Get the Borg Warner heavy duty solenoid kit. (under a hundred bucks.) If O/D, and TCC are working properly, don't worry about those solenoids. So, fluid, filter, band adjust, sensor, solenoid. May not hurt to replace the output speed sensor as well. They have been known to cause some interesting problems, but, NOT set a code......

It IS possible to change the O/D, and TCC solenoids without dropping the valve body, routing the wire harness for them is what makes it interesting, but, it's eminently doable.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:23 AM
ZipperStar
Rookie
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. Get the Borg Warner heavy duty solenoid kit. (under a hundred bucks.) If O/D, and TCC are working properly, don't worry about those solenoids. So, fluid, filter, band adjust, sensor, solenoid. May not hurt to replace the output speed sensor as well. They have been known to cause some interesting problems, but, NOT set a code......

It IS possible to change the O/D, and TCC solenoids without dropping the valve body, routing the wire harness for them is what makes it interesting, but, it's eminently doable.
Great info there, and that's what I'll do. It's still shifting perfect with no engine light, but it might **** me off to just do a fluid and filter, and have this weirdness haunt me in a week or something..
THX..

Old 01-31-2019, 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by ZipperStar
Great info there, and that's what I'll do. It's still shifting perfect with no engine light, but it might **** me off to just do a fluid and filter, and have this weirdness haunt me in a week or something..
THX..
Of course it would. If you did just the fluid/filter/bands, it would likely screw up the next day. At least, that's how my luck goes.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:40 AM
ZipperStar
Rookie
Cool

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Of course it would. If you did just the fluid/filter/bands, it would likely screw up the next day. At least, that's how my luck goes.
We must be related, lol..

Last edited by ZipperStar; 01-31-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: my mistake