2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 07:01 AM
ballstimeballs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Exhaust?

Im sorry to do this to you all, but Ive got an exhaust question. When I bought my truck it came with "dual" exhaust, one of those h-pipe kits.. It sounds awesome, but I feel that I'm being robbed of some ponies..

What is the best performance exhaust for these 5.9 rams? Ive heard true duals, single 3" exhaust... Need some opinions here. I do not wheel, and this is my DD.

My truck is fairly modded. Its chipped, holly performace TB, TB spacer, spectre air filter, EQ heads, bored out heads and plenum. 99 ram 1500, 5.9 quad cab.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:39 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got 3" exhaust on mine with a Magnaflow cat that replaces the stock Y-Pipe, I'm happy with that. Wouldn't mind some Gibson shorty headers though.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Lose the throttle body spacer. All it does is give you less clearance for the air filter housing. It does nothing for performance.

Since you already have true duals, with the H pipe.... I would stick with that. What size pipe is it?

Shorty headers sure wouldn't hurt..... (you have stock manifolds now?)

EQ heads? What size valves?

Old 01-22-2017, 11:31 AM
ram-tuff
Professional

Bit of info here. Small block truck motor, mild mods, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPK...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by ram-tuff; 01-23-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:29 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Lose the throttle body spacer. All it does is give you less clearance for the air filter housing. It does nothing for performance.

Since you already have true duals, with the H pipe.... I would stick with that. What size pipe is it?

Shorty headers sure wouldn't hurt..... (you have stock manifolds now?)

EQ heads? What size valves?
Good to know for the tb spacer.

I feel stupid, meant to say Y pipe, not H pipe. I'm sure an H pipe would be a nice improvement! Ive read mixed reports on H pipes on these trucks, and how to get them properly installed. Think my exhaust is 2.25" right now.

I do have aftermarket headers, not sure of the brand though. They came with the truck.

Engine Quest heads. Basically same as stock, but their supposed to be a lot more durable. Not sure about the size of the valves.. Sure I could find out.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Y pipe with duals?

H pipe just fools the engine into thinking the header collectors are longer than they really are. It's more for upper RPM power than anything else. Though, it IS a good place to put the O2 sensor.

You might get a pit more out of it bumping up to 2.5 inch pip..... Of course, you might get the same gains by getting a good "off road" y-pipe, and going to single three inch. Hard to say which would be better/cheaper.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Back in the day when I first had a Flowmaster with duals installed and the stock muffler removed, I noticed an improvement. Then the cat went so I had a Magnaflow cat and Y pipe installed and I saw more improvement. Then last year the pipes rusted out in my dual exhaust so I cut off the Flowmaster and threw on a Thrush glass pack with single pipe. This also improved performance. I think next I'll just run open headers because less seems to be more, haha. Get what I'm saying?

Old 01-22-2017, 04:30 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

I would definitely assume a single would be a lot cheaper.. But, I think a local shop may be able to hook me up with true duals for a decent price that may be worth the extra dough. I already had a high flow cat I put in.. Im basically waiting for my current exhaust to crap out before I upgrade.

My current exhaust has great tone and sounds awesome.. But I definitely feel my motor is being restricted. Another thing, it would be kinda nice to get my spare tire well back...

If I went true duals with an H pipe, would I need two cats?

Old 01-22-2017, 04:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yes, yes you would. And you would not get your spare tire well back either. Unless the guy bending the pipe is pretty creative. Could always dump the exhaust in front of the rear wheels.....

Old 01-22-2017, 07:32 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yes, yes you would. And you would not get your spare tire well back either. Unless the guy bending the pipe is pretty creative. Could always dump the exhaust in front of the rear wheels.....
Dammit! Wishful thinking anyways. Haha Well, it might be worth it.. Guess it depends on my cash flow at the time Its kinda bad when your just waiting for something to break to justify an upgrade.. Next will be axles, transfer case, and a paint job.. Then my truck will be like new again!