2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10 thermostat questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 09:54 PM
barnett468
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V10 thermostat questions

I Have a 200 v10 that is running cold so i removed the thermostat but there is no plate in it to regulate water flow . what is it i have.

here is a replacement i found online and it ha no plate either.

mine looks just like the one below except it does not have the silver housing . did someone remove the housing from mine? . i think mine is originl.

Last edited by barnett468; 02-09-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,236 Likes on 2,985 Posts

I am REAL curious how that would regulate flow..... What temp is the stock thermostat? I assume 195*...... Mine runs cold too.... so, I get to do this soon as well.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:24 PM
barnett468
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I am REAL curious how that would regulate flow..... What temp is the stock thermostat? I assume 195*...... Mine runs cold too.... so, I get to do this soon as well.
stock is around 195 . i have read that these engines commonly run ice cold . i also read that only an original mopar t stat should be used.

this apparently is not like any other gas engine.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:36 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried figuring out how they work too when I pulled mine but never really understood it. Somehow it opens and closed a port on the housing for the coolant to run by. If you're not seeing the silver housing part, it probably broke it off down in the intake manifold. There is also a rubber seal sitting below that, that is supposed to be replace (apparently with a special size driver), but I've heard if it's not in bad shape you can reuse it. I'm starting to wonder if mine should have been replaced, but I'm reading pretty good at the housing with a temp gun. Gauge is just reading lower then before changing the old one out.

Here's some pics that might help some. http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/0xlr...hermostat.html

Old 02-09-2017, 11:24 PM
barnett468
Rookie

Originally Posted by racefan41
I tried figuring out how they work too when I pulled mine but never really understood it. Somehow it opens and closed a port on the housing for the coolant to run by. If you're not seeing the silver housing part, it probably broke it off down in the intake manifold. There is also a rubber seal sitting below that, that is supposed to be replace (apparently with a special size driver), but I've heard if it's not in bad shape you can reuse it. I'm starting to wonder if mine should have been replaced, but I'm reading pretty good at the housing with a temp gun. Gauge is just reading lower then before changing the old one out.

Here's some pics that might help some. http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/0xlr...hermostat.html

ok thanks . i will look for the outer shell/housing tomorrow then . i boiled the piece i had in water and the needle in the center did not move even at 200 degrees so it may be bad also . i will get one from the chrysler dealer tomorrow if they have one and see if it moves.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:33 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My replacement I got was a 190. Pretty sure that is stock.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:57 PM
barnett468
Rookie

Anyone know how to get the wire to release from the temp sender?

Old 02-10-2017, 09:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,236 Likes on 2,985 Posts

There should be some flavor of clip holding it in place. Something you need to either lift up, or push down...... designs vary.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:59 AM
barnett468
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There should be some flavor of clip holding it in place. Something you need to either lift up, or push down...... designs vary.

thanks but there is no obvious clip . i have actually been a mechanic for 40 years but that is on older cars like pre 1980 . i am familiar with many of the clips and plastic tabs on the wires on newer cars but i have never seen one like this and i learned a long time ago to never force any plugs on a newer car because they are cheap plastic and they will break . of course removing t is complicated by the fact that there is no room to maneuver where it is located . apparently lamborghini helped design this engine which explains a lot, lol.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:17 PM
barnett468
Rookie

COOLING SYSTEM DESIGN

I am actually very familiar with various cooling system designs and it's too soon to say now but from what I know of them and from what I have read about this particular system, it does not have a thermostat . The pert they are calling a thermostat looks like it only controls temperature in part of the engine and this is during warm up only . This part of the design is called a bypass system and was actually first used by ford in 1970 on the 351 cleveland engines to help the heads warm up more slowly and uniformly y prevent cracking because they were fragile . The cleveland thermostat was a dual function dual design type . The other function was to regulate the engine temperature . This thermostat is a single function type so it does not regulate engine temperature as well or as consistently because it is only regulating the amount of water that flows through the small 3/16" hole in the block.

This would explain why there are several threads complaining about these engines running extremely cold and the heaters not working because of it.

If a conventional thermostat is used in this engine it could cause premature cylinder wear and/or excessive oil consumption.

According to the catalog, this is the same t stat that is used on a diesel engine and diesel engines run cold so things are starting to add up...a little . The prob is that a cold engine wears more quickly and uses way more fuel.

The factory t stat is discontinued .

TEMPERATURE GAUGE ACCURACY

I have also red several threads stating that their gauge reads low but when they check the temp using an engine analyzer in the emissions/computer plug, it reads much higher . My gauge has always read around 130 degrees which is why I assumed the thermostat was bad but I never checked it with the tester.

Anyway, if I figure out the prob I will post what I find in hopes it might help others but as far is the engines running cool, if someone has one that does they should verify the temp with an engine analyzer first . Most emission test places will do this for free.

If I knew thus thing was partially designed by Lamborghini before I bought it I might have bought something else, lol.

Last edited by barnett468; 02-10-2017 at 12:35 PM.