2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire Size Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:09 PM
3badbirds
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Size Recomendations

I have a 96 Ram 2500 4x4 with an extended cab and 8 foot bed. I lifted it about 4" with a Skyjacker kit and am currently running a worn set of 35s (BF Goodrich TA). My problem is that I have 16.5 inch rims which are a nightmare to get a decent set of affordable tires for.

I still have the stock 16" rims and was thinking of just swapping them back on if I can figure out a good size tire for them that will still look good with my lift. I don't go off-road much but am still looking for an "aggressive" tire similar to my current TAs.

What are some good brands and tire sizes to look at for a 16"rim. For comfort, I wouldn't mind dropping a few inches both in height and width from my current 35 x 12.5. Would a 255/85r16 be a good candidate or 265/75r16? Its hard for me to visualize how they would look and am afraid they will appear undersized since I am use to my current 35s.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2017, 10:42 PM
madmikesmech
Professional

My signature pic is stock hieght with 265/75-16, so IMO, that size would look small.good luck, pics may help to give the forum an idea of what it looks like with the tires your running now, for something to judge by?

Old 04-06-2017, 12:35 AM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie

I would go with a 285 or a 33 (basically the same thing). Anything smaller would look undersized for a 3 quarter ton with a lift. I would recommend nitto terra grapplers. Theyre not a full on off road tire but they do have an aggressive look to them, are great on road, and are reasonably priced. In my personal experience with the nitto company, ive found them there staff to be really friendly and helpful. Best of luck in your search.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:37 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I currently run 285/75R16s (slightly under a 33-10.50 16) on a stock 2500, and they look a little small in my opinion. I got a smoking deal (I think, find out this weekend) on a set of 315/75R16s which are slightly smaller than your 35-12.50s.

With a 4" lift on a 2500, anything under a 35 is probably going to look small. You could probably run a 37" tire and look about right, but that defeats the idea of going lower/cheaper. The joy of it though is, it's your truck. Make it how you like it and everyone else can kiss off.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:41 AM
3badbirds

As suggested, I've attached a current picture of my Ram. I'm also concerned that based on my lift anything under 35s are going to look out of place. I just thought taking a few inches off might make loading it more easier - both from the loads in the bed and the grunts and groans from the passengers getting in... lol

Do you think getting another set of tall tires would look okay on the stock rims??? I've been checking the local market for a decent set of rims and tires but have had no luck.

Thanks again for the advice!

Attached Thumbnails Tire Size Recomendations-ram001.jpg  
Old 04-06-2017, 09:16 AM
madmikesmech
Professional

Good looking truck as is, to me a smaller tire may look out of place??? That's just my opinion

Old 04-06-2017, 10:36 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

That is a good looking setup. The bigger tires on stock rims work fine from what I've seen. Stock rims are narrow, so it will suck the sides of a wide tire in. This is good for playing in the hills, but might feel a little wobbly on the highway.
if the height of the truck bothers you or others, you could get rid of the lift and go with a 2" leveling kit instead. The 35s will still fit fine, and they will actually fill the wheel wells. Just food for thought.
I'll get a picture of my 2500 with the 315/75R16s mounted on stock wheels up as soon as I can. I should have them this weekend, and have them mounted next week. That will give you a good comparison for sizing.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:48 AM
3badbirds

Thanks to all for taking the time to write!

I like the look of my American Racing wheels (even if they are a bit common) but just can't justify paying the extra premium to find a tire to fit a 16.5 rim....

I think the majority of comments here kind of confirm my concern that anything smaller then a 35 will look undersized. There is a lot of space in those wheel wells right from the factory so lifting it only compounds the need to go big. Hopefully I'll be able to find a nice used rim and wheel combo out there.

Speaking of which, if I do go the used route, does hub size become a concern? I know to always check the bolt pattern but noticed these Ram have a relatively large hub. Do any replacement rims need to have a specific hub size for centering or do they sell hub spacers / adapters (or do they centered with just the lugs)?

Thanks again!

Last edited by 3badbirds; 04-07-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Depends on the rim. If it is hub-centered, then it needs to be the right size. (elongated lug stud holes, for use on different make trucks....) If the rim is lug-centered (uses a tapered seat lug nut) then hub size doesn't really matter, so long as it will fit over it.

I have 33's on my stock-height 2500, and even those look too small.