2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What does a header job require?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:17 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does a header job require?

So im thinking of putting headers on my 98 ram 1500 with a 360. When i do this, how much else of the exhaust system will i have to re-do? Im trying to keep it as cheap as i can. When i had my old ford i put headers and ran open headers (im really loved by my neighbors) but this time i want to be more considerate to the neighberhood so i want to do it right. Will i have to replace the full y pipe or cat?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:44 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

You can replace the existing manifolds with a set of shorty headers and they should bolt-up to your existing stock Y-pipe. I have a set of coated JBA shorty headers I found used on craigslist and they fit and work perfectly. Before that, I found a set of used shorty Pacesetter headers that I bought from a guy off craigslist that had them on a 5.2 Dodge Dakota. Those also bolted up fine.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:26 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And, probably, copious amounts of PB Blaster...

Old 05-03-2017, 08:20 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Like dbbd1, mentioned, you will need plenty of PB Blaster to remove the old exhaust manifold bolts, which is likely the hardest part of the job. If you can get all of the old exhaust manifold bolts off without breaking them, swapping on the new shorty headers will be pretty easy.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:35 AM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie

Whats the felt power difference between shortys and long tubes? I really want long tubes but not if i have to replace my y pipe too.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Shorties actually produce a better low-end torque curve than long tubes. The long tubes don't really come into play until the higher RPM range, where your intake manifold is the problem, not the exhaust. Remember, it's a truck. Big horsepower numbers aren't really what you are looking for, it's bottom end grunt that gets that monster moving.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:29 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now, on to which ones are better (best)...

Old 05-03-2017, 03:01 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Shorties actually produce a better low-end torque curve than long tubes. The long tubes don't really come into play until the higher RPM range, where your intake manifold is the problem, not the exhaust. Remember, it's a truck. Big horsepower numbers aren't really what you are looking for, it's bottom end grunt that gets that monster moving.
How much felt difference will there be between shortys and manifolds? It seems to me that shortys wouldn't be that much better than a manifold.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:04 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Now, on to which ones are better (best)...

Which ones do you recommend? Summit racing makes some for $200 and theres a set of flowtech for a little bit more. I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. I'd like to have gibsons, but there just too expensive.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonArmstrong
How much felt difference will there be between shortys and manifolds? It seems to me that shortys wouldn't be that much better than a manifold.
By themselves? Probably not much of a difference. However... Every mod you add builds on what has gone before. Help the exhaust breathe better, and you may or may not notice a bit more grunt, add a better flowing intake system, even if its just a better filter, and the two together give you more than either one would by itself. Consider: You are looking at single-digit improvements here..... You MAY notice the engine runs better, but, you may or may not notice increased power.

I suppose, the real question becomes: What do you want to do with your truck? Are you going to use it AS a truck? Towing? Hauling? Off-Roading? Street racing? What?