2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E-Fan conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 07:55 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Fan conversion

Does anyone know where I can get an Electric fan conversion kit for a 98 ram 1500 with a 360? Starting to build the motor up now and i've always wanted to try an e fan on sonething and see if i can feel any difference.

Old 05-13-2017, 01:11 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You probably wont find anything complete that's really any good. If you do it's going to be really expensive. To do the job right you need the shroud, a couple fairly beefy fans and whatever control system you decide on. Theres a really bitchen permacool dual fan shroud with fans for my truck on Summit for almost $800 that doesn't includa any controllers, wiring, relays, etc. I ended up piecing my stuff together and went with the TCP performance shroud, generic fans, wiring , relays etc I am very pleased with how it turned out. I bet I have around $300-400 at most into my kit but it's been a while so I can't remember now. If I was a millionaire I might have that Permacool fan setup on there though.

Have a search. There are lots of ideas here.

Old 05-13-2017, 08:07 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I have a flexalite duel fan set on mine. It butt's up to the radiator (no shroud needed) but it doesn't cover the complete radiator surface since it's a "universal fit". They make some nice stuff but on the pricey side. If you do go with e fan/s make sure you have enough cfm to cool it.

https://www.flex-a-lite.com/

Old 05-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

TCP Performance have a nice kit... it's a little expensive as a complete kit, but I got a blank shroud only (no fan holes cut) and supplied my own fans and controller.

I'm using dual Derale 18916 (16" Dyno-Cool 1980CFM) fans, and the Flex-a-lite 33054 VS controller.

I previously has SPAL fans, but they kept breaking drive pins, and I found them to be very noisy.

As for CFM; for a stock daily driver, a single fan is probably sufficient... even on a hot day with A/C blasting in traffic I don't see a temp difference with 1 or 2 fans plugged in... the fan cycles on/off and remains on low speed.
If you're driving hard or towing, 2 fans would be a must... and having the second fan is a good safety backup in case one fails.

Last edited by Spillage; 05-13-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:48 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Spillage
TCP Performance As for CFM; for a stock daily driver, a single fan is probably sufficient... even on a hot day with A/C blasting in traffic I don't see a temp difference with 1 or 2 fans plugged in... .
I just hope no one reads this and assumes under sizing the fan is good plan. Discovering you have undersized the cooling system when you are trying to tow a pass in the desert would be a real shame. The cooling system should be designed with a bit of extra cooling margin over worst case conditions in my opinion.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ugly1
I just hope no one reads this and assumes under sizing the fan is good plan. Discovering you have undersized the cooling system when you are trying to tow a pass in the desert would be a real shame. The cooling system should be designed with a bit of extra cooling margin over worst case conditions in my opinion.
Hence the subsequent lines in that paragraph.
If you're driving hard or towing, 2 fans would be a must... and having the second fan is a good safety backup in case one fails.
For a standard application, I've often seen the Ford Taurus single efan recommended/used on RAM, Dakota, and Jeeps with 5.2 & 5.9 engines.
I noted my experience (a single 16" Dyno-Cool was keeping up with high temp no load conditions at 60% fan speed), and indicated I felt it a must to have two fans for towing and high load use.

As with anything, it us the consumers responsibility to read and comprehend the entirety of the text, then evaluate how that applies to their circumstances, not just take the first few words and run with it.

Old 05-15-2017, 04:10 PM
renardk764
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have these. No real complaints.

http://ffdynamics.com/products/ram34

Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonArmstrong
Does anyone know where I can get an Electric fan conversion kit for a 98 ram 1500 with a 360? Starting to build the motor up now and i've always wanted to try an e fan on sonething and see if i can feel any difference.
I found this thread the other day, you might want to check it out:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...n-install.html

Old 05-16-2017, 01:06 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker

^^^^^^^ that ones the winner if you asked me. I wish I'd thought of doing that with the factory shroud.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:53 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonArmstrong
You'll notice that the truck gets moving quicker with less gas pedal.

FWIW, the full TCP Performance kit works just fine, though the SPAL fans are screamers. Here's mine:

The conduit didn't come with the kit, but the kit was otherwise complete. I've yet to see the second fan start in normal operation, but have confirmed that it works by turning down the trigger temperature.