2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No power Need Help ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I ran the autolites for a while, as the a/c delco plugs weren't in stock. They worked fine.

Don't bother spending money on rare-earth plugs, our trucks hate them. Many a member has had the hard to find miss, that was solved by changing out their relatively new, high dollar spark plugs, for the cheap copper fellers.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:58 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok good to know. They looked a little worn down so I'll still replace them but I won't waste money on the best plugs then. One more question. What should I do about the o2 sensor. I'm a very experienced welder but I don't have a welder at home. Will I be fine just driving for a while without it. The previous owner was ( what I can tell from the kind of work done to this poor truck ) pretty dumb. Thanks for all the quick replys.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You'll be fine for a while. Just gas mileage will suffer. (I can't bring myself to call it 'fuel economy', there is nothing economical about these trucks. )

I would go looking for the connectors for the O2 sensors. If the check engine lite isn't constantly on, then, they had do something about them. My guess would be O2 simulators, that just send a switching signal to the PCM, does nothing for gas mileage, but, fools the computer into thinking the sensors are there, so the lite doesn't come on. Gonna need a lite, maybe a mirror, and a third elbow to find the connectors. For the front O2, it is right on top of the trans, just behind the bellhousing. At least, that's where it *should* be.....

Does the check engine light test when you first start the truck?

Old 06-15-2017, 06:07 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

Yea the check engine light constantly stays on because it was an automatic before so it's throwing all sorts of tranny sensor codes. But no spark plugs or o2 sensor is showing up on my reader. There is a TPS/ACC code but the gas isn't bad anymore I've checked the new one with multimeter.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably have simulators plugged in the, and one of them may have failed.....

Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

Ok so I've been driving it to work and around town for a couple days. Ended up getting bosh platinum for it as they were only like a dollar more.. That helped a lot with performance. Then I have found 3 badly leaking fuel injector seals. Replaced them and a huge difference. Runs pretty good under load now except when taking off exactly at 3000 rpm' s the motor cuts out hard, then bucks and jumps until I shift. Any ideas what that could be. Also the fuel pump and fuel filter are now brand new.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:24 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Many a member has had the hard to find miss, that was solved by changing out their relatively new, high dollar spark plugs, for the cheap copper fellers.
^ You should have saved the extra $8.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:45 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

I trust the bosch plugs. My dad ran them in his jeep that had the same 5.2 magnum in it. He ran it for 5 years straight without changing out the plugs.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:51 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

One more thing I just remembered. When I shift gears or just push in the clutch sometimes it drops below 500 rpm's or stalls/ almost stalls. Doesn't happen all the time but pretty regular. Could it possibly be a weak Cool? Any ways to test....... Thanks ally.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:01 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cleaned or replaced your IAC lately?