2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No power Need Help ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:51 AM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I wonder,.Just a thought. if by chance during the conversion if the PCM was changed for the manual trans.That could be a major issue for problems your having.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:26 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Originally Posted by Randyn Collins
One more thing I just remembered. When I shift gears or just push in the clutch sometimes it drops below 500 rpm's or stalls/ almost stalls. Doesn't happen all the time but pretty regular. Could it possibly be a weak Cool? Any ways to test....... Thanks ally.
That would be mostly because of torque converter lag that the auto pcm that's still in it is adjusting for. So the way to solv a lot of these problems is to get a used 318 manual pcm. I have one availiable off of my parts truck that I know works if you would be Interested. Pm me if you are.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:45 AM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

Ok I did wonder about the Auto pcm still being in there but why would it run good sometimes? Anyways today was the first time I've drove the truck in the rain. After work it took a while to start and jumped and bucked taking off in first gear. Then between half and full throttle it jumped ( like completely cuts out and comes back very violently ) even when warmed up. It was colder today than it's ever been since I've owned it. Ive read that hard starting and high rpm cutting out could be a failing coil. I looked at the coil and it's rusty and old looking and the guy has crimp connectors instead of an actually plugin. Is it possible he has the wires backwards? I don't believe it would even run if they were. Also anyways I can test the coil........And yes I did clean the IAC....

Old 06-23-2017, 07:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Not sure polarity even matters on the coil. However, could be coil, could be crank sensor, or even plug wires.

Let it idle in the driveway, and mist water over various components, see what happens. (best done at dusk, so you can see the light show if there is one.)

Old 06-23-2017, 01:43 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

Ok I'll try that when I get home although I don't believe water is the problem since it's had time to dry and been warm. But who knows could be stuck in the harness or something.... I checked the coil with my multimeter as best as I could this morning( can't really find a good video or post on how to do it) and the one terminal read 1.3 ohms which was in spec I think. But the one " tower " only read 13.70 ohms and it's supposed to be between. 13000-15000. Again not sure if I did it right and not sure if those numbers are correct that's what I found online. Also when it cuts out it is always the same rpm, 3200 exactly. Thanks for all the help and quick replies from everyone.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Is your meter auto-ranging? That might be correct, but, was it hot at the time you checked it?

Old 06-23-2017, 07:25 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

I'd check the crank sensor. Because of this auto to manual swap, were not sure wether the PO replaced the crank sensor to the manual length, or shimmed the auto one out to work. If he shimmed the auto one, he might have brought it out too far and the crank sensor could have a intermittent signal because of too much spacing.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:12 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

Yes my meter is auto. And I changed the crank sensor. They had a manual and a auto one at the parts store and the one that I pulled out of the truck was the automatic one so I bought and automatic sensor. The problem is getting worse everytime I start it. Now the cutting out is at 2500 rpm. Even in neutral now I can hold the pedal to the floor and it will go up to about 2800 then drop down to about 2000 then right back up. Took my dad's brand new coil off his truck and it didn't help at all. Checked plugs again for fun and no problems. My scanner won't reset itself so I can't get the new code it's throwing so I'm going to have autozone scan it tommorow. I read something about doing a fuel sync with the distributor or something. Any ideas on that? It idles fine but as soon as heavy throttle is applied it jumps. Also swapped an oem TPS in and didn't help.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:37 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

like completely cuts out and comes back very violently
When it cuts out is it like you turned the key to off? I see you replaced the crank sensor but what about the cam sensor(in the dizzy)? Also you don't need a scanner for a 96 to get codes...

http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Check all the codes and post them.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Randyn Collins
Amateur

Ok so after I got home I went out and looked at the crank sensor. The bolts were loose for some reason. I tightened them and it wouldn't even crank over after that. Took the whole sensor out and put two lockwashers behind each bolt and put it back in. Turns out the sensor was getting hit by ( the flywheel I believe). She fired right up and reved to the moon. Took it for a drive and it reved straight up to 4000 before I shifted with no cutting out at all. It's runs great. I guess the Auto sensor wasn't the right one but the guy at the parts store told me that since it was a conversion truck I needed that one.