2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stainless Vs. Ceramic Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:09 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Vs. Ceramic Headers

I've been working on my 98 ram 1500 5.9 for a while now and it's finally time for headers. I've decided to go with gibson headers because i know they are a good brand and make high quality stuff. Gibson makes two headers for these trucks, a stainless and a ceramic one. The ceramics are alot more expensive but if theyre that much better, it would be worth it. So, as far as stainless vs ceramic, which will pull heat out of the engine bay best? Which will be the most durable to things like rocks? And which one will maintain it's look the best, as in which finish will be affected by heat the most? Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

The ceramic coated headers keep the heat in the exhaust better, away from the engine compartment. The coating will prevent them from rusting (from the outside, at least) and is reasonably easy to clean. (if you are concerned about such things.) The stainless fellers will turn blue fairly quickly, and shed heat directly into the engine compartment.

I.E. The coated headers are definitely the better choice. (not counting price.)

Old 06-28-2017, 02:47 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or you could wrap the S/S headers yourself with header wrap. However, that will tend to hold moisture (when cool, of course) and cheap S/S may eventually rust.

But it always looks cool!

Old 06-28-2017, 03:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by dbbd1
Or you could wrap the S/S headers yourself with header wrap. However, that will tend to hold moisture (when cool, of course) and cheap S/S may eventually rust.

I never cared for the header wrap. It doesn't like to stay in place, it deteriorates over time, (which the ceramic coating won't). And is a pain to install properly. The fact that is also collects crap, and holds it against the pipes is the final strike.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:31 PM
MasonArmstrong
Rookie

Originally Posted by dbbd1

Header wrap would definetly be a pain with the way the gibson headers are designed, but would the wrap pull heat away from the engine bay better than the coating? If so then the wrap would be worth the pain.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The idea is to keep the heat in the exhaust system. The wrap is basically just insulation. Keeping it on is the hard part.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:35 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Unless the cost difference is huge and/or you really cannot afford the ceramics, I would go with the ceramics. I like header wrap, in the tight conditions and my vehicles are garaged. And, I use S/S hose clamps to hold the wrap.

I just like the wrapped look though.

P.S.trade secret-- I also use header wrap on my CAI intake tubes, to keep them cool.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny this topic came up as I'm looking for something to replace the insulation on the exhaust of my Madzda. Here's a wrap kit I found http://www.thermotec.com/products/ex...wrap-kits.html. Notice the wrap kit comes with stainless steel bands. Enough bands on the setup should help keep the wrap in place.

On the flip side, I found this: Exhaust Header Heat Wraps - Do Not Use

Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker

Those bands do loosen with the heat/cool cycles. That's why I like the hose clamps.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:56 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

I know you said you want to go with a set of gibbons, but have you considered a cheaper set of headers, like the pace setters?
I have a set of pace setter steel headers, and I had the factory shipping paint blasted off, and I repainted with just some barbecue high temp paint, they finished matte black, but I do think they look too bad. I did have to modify my y-pipe, but you might have to do that with any set you buy. I'd say if you do want to wrap them, then go with a cheaper set because I feel they rust because of the wrap, then you won't care as much as a more expensive set.