2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Burning oil smell when engine braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 PM
dean98ram1500
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burning oil smell when engine braking

Got a new truck in spring, my brothers old truck, 1995 Ram 2500 HD 5.9 gas. Has about 201k on the clock and doesn't have a single issue. I believe the plenum could use replacing, if I remember looking at it a while back.

Been doing a lot of towing with it lately, under 4000lbs though and even when dropping it in second gear to slow down a little bit and save the brakes. Always turn overdrive off, even though it screams. But lately as I engine brake I've been smelling a strong odor of burning oil in the cab. I didn't smell it when the truck had 199k so I'm not sure what I did. I'm thinking the plenum, just want to get a little confirmation before a college kid goes out and spends $150 on the hughes kit.

I did a little research and saw that under engine braking creates high vacuum, thus more oil passed valve stem seals/ringlands and less recycled by the PCV system. Or is this an intake manifold/plenum problem and I'm just overthinking it.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

You don't really need the hughes kit. Granted, it has everything you need in it... but, in all reality, if you just use a high-quality gasket, and slightly shorter bolts, you are right down the road.

Replace the PCV valve with one from the dealer. It's actually the correct flow rate.

While you are doing the plenum, doing valve cover gaskets, and valve seals sure wouldn't hurt either. It isn't really a bad job, just tedious. Should be able to rent the tools you need from your local parts store. If you have air available, you can use that to hold the valves in place while you change the seals, if you don't, just run the piston most of the way up, stuff a bunch of rope in thru the spark plug hole, then run the piston the rest of the way up. (cotton rope please. Not nylon. Cotton will burn off really quick, nylon just melts, and may cause issues.)

Old 09-06-2017, 09:59 PM
dean98ram1500
Veteran

Ah, I see. I did the hughes kit on my 5.2, BY THE BOOK, and it blew out on me a second time within 5k miles, I don't know if it was bad luck or what the issue was. But I see what you're saying, a college student's budget is very little, lol.

I will definitely address the PCV valve.

The previous owner actually did valve cover gaskets on the truck, but not valve seals. Hm, interesting, I've never actually done valve seals, I'd have to look into that a little bit more.

I'm torn on what I want to do with this truck, I would love to do all kinds of little power gain stuff and refreshers stuff like, rockers, timing chain, etc. but at the end of the day, I could save my money and put a bigger power plant in there and make some real power. I like this engine a lot, but could make a lot more power with other engines I believe.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Then just do maintenance on this one, and save some pennies for building what you actually want. Keep in mind, the 95 is OBDI, so, no flash programming for you.... get to weird, and you will have to send the PCM out for tuning, and that's 250 a shot, for the most part. No one gets it right on the first try. I think B&G tuning? are the only ones I am aware of that will do it.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:30 PM
dean98ram1500
Veteran

That's what I'm thinking, I love the simplicity of the OBD1 though! Plus this truck is bare bones, crank windows and such, nothing can go wrong, I love it, with an 8ft bed and all.

I was thinking something with a carburetor for this one down the line... I want to keep it mopar but LS motors are impressive power plants

Old 09-07-2017, 09:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

And folks are stuffing the LS motors into just about everything...... In all reality, that wouldn't be too bad of a conversion..... go with the GM trans, and t-case as well. (if it has a t-case.....) Sticking with the fuel injection would likely give you better gas mileage than the 5.9 as well. Plus the nice bump in power.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:04 PM
dean98ram1500
Veteran

I know.. there are so many plug and play kits now a days, especially from holley. Kills me, but in the end, isn't a bad idea

Old 09-07-2017, 02:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would be tempted to stick with the fuel injection.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:10 PM
dean98ram1500
Veteran

Oh me too, I'm a fan of all the tuning possibilities with a laptop and easier starting, etc.

Now about doing this plenum gasket, I only need the main circle gasket and shorter bolts correct? Any more specifics on sizes and such? And I'm also going to guess I can pick up that gasket at an advance.