2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Easy way to remove the rotors on a Dana 60 HD rear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:08 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts
Default Easy way to remove the rotors on a Dana 60 HD rear?

I've got a Dana 60 HD rear that came out of a 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 truck that I have sitting on jack stands. The rear has been sitting a bit and the rotors don't want to come off. They are also on so tight that the rear won't turn by turning the yoke even with a pipe wrench. I suspect the brake shoes that are actuated by the emergency brake inside the rotor might be causing the issue.

Does anyone know of any tricks to get the rotors off?

Old 10-15-2017, 07:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Did dodge to their not-so-smart trick, and stake those on from the backside of the hub?

Old 10-15-2017, 08:34 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Did dodge to their not-so-smart trick, and stake those on from the backside of the hub?
Do they tend to stake the rotor in more than one place? Since the rotor won't turn, I'm not sure. Can you tell me more about this?

Old 10-15-2017, 08:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

On some, the rotors are staked to the hub by the lug bolts. (notorious on the 3/4 ton trucks....) At some point, they changed, and you can knock the rotors off without having to disassemble the front half of the truck..... I would like to think that dodge got 'smart', and did NOT do that on the rear axles..... but, ya never know. (I haven't see a rear disc rear yet...... I think only the LATE model 3/4 and 1 tons got 'em.)

It's easy to tell which flavor you have.... If the rotor is on the back side of the hub flange..... hub has to come off as well. If the hub flange is hidden the the rotor, then you should be able to just knock it off. There is an adjuster for the e-brake stuff, might have to back that off, and then pound on the rotor with a BFH, right where it meets the hub......

Old 10-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

How about some pics of it?

Old 10-15-2017, 10:28 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
On some, the rotors are staked to the hub by the lug bolts. (notorious on the 3/4 ton trucks....) At some point, they changed, and you can knock the rotors off without having to disassemble the front half of the truck..... I would like to think that dodge got 'smart', and did NOT do that on the rear axles..... but, ya never know. (I haven't see a rear disc rear yet...... I think only the LATE model 3/4 and 1 tons got 'em.)

It's easy to tell which flavor you have.... If the rotor is on the back side of the hub flange..... hub has to come off as well. If the hub flange is hidden the the rotor, then you should be able to just knock it off. There is an adjuster for the e-brake stuff, might have to back that off, and then pound on the rotor with a BFH, right where it meets the hub......
Yes, the rotors on my truck's front Dana 60 are like that where the lug studs grab the rotor. I had to knock out each of the lug studs to separate the rotor from the hub. This rear disc brake Dana 60 HD doesn't seem to be like that. The rotors will move over the lug studs slightly, but will not come off of the hub. I tried a BFH for a while, but the rotor didn't come off the rear. I suspect the emergency brakes are causing me some trouble, so I need to figure out how to get them to release fully. Yes, as I understand it, only very late model 2nd gen 2500/3500 trucks might have this style disc brake Dana 60 HD installed.

Old 10-16-2017, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

There is probably a lip on the e-brake drum, that the shoes are hanging up on then. You *should* be able to access the adjuster for those from the back side....... crank it down as far as you can, and then see if you can pull the rotor off.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:51 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

I'll take a closer look at doing just that later this afternoon. I have two of these rears and both have the same issue, since they have been sitting outside on jack stands in the weather.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:37 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Once I found the location of the adjuster and popped off the rubber cover, I backed off the emergency/parking brake and the rotor slid right off. There was no ridge on the inside of the rotor, so it was just the brake shoes pressing against the inside of the rotor holding it in place.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:04 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Here is a link to some photos of the Dana 60 HD rear with factory disc brakes.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9apedsb95...tKMxNI4ka?dl=0