2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Multiple misfire codes & catalytic converter not ready

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Only if you have a scanner that will check them.....

Old 11-13-2017, 11:21 AM
Rob Mueller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope don't have one of those.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Parts store scanner might do it. Wouldn't hurt to ask.... (they will usually do it for free as well.)

Old 11-13-2017, 11:27 AM
Rob Mueller

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Parts store scanner might do it. Wouldn't hurt to ask.... (they will usually do it for free as well.)
Ok I will check

Old 11-13-2017, 06:51 PM
Rob Mueller

Originally Posted by Moparite
What codes are you getting(see link)? How long are you driving the truck before you get it inspected? I did mine years ago (new cat and both 02's) cleared codes and went to inspection the next week. No codes and passed emissions.
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm
P300 and P301 through P308 which are misfire codes. I can't figure out how the truck can be misfiring on all 8 cylinders and still idle smoothly. We changed the wires, cap, rotor and coil and then cleared the codes. After driving the truck for say 20 min the light comes back on. From what i was reading online it looks like the cat and 02 sensors will not change to the run position until the truck can run with with the light off for a set amount of time so I need to figure out what is causing the codes and the light to come on.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:56 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Mueller
P300 and P301 through P308 which are misfire codes. I can't figure out how the truck can be misfiring on all 8 cylinders and still idle smoothly. We changed the wires, cap, rotor and coil and then cleared the codes. After driving the truck for say 20 min the light comes back on. From what i was reading online it looks like the cat and 02 sensors will not change to the run position until the truck can run with with the light off for a set amount of time so I need to figure out what is causing the codes and the light to come on.
If your crank and cam aren't in cahoots, you'll set multiple misfires. I believe there is a data item on the scan tool for the cam/crank difference. If not, it will show up on "Set Sync Signal" in the factory scan tool or a high end aftermarket. Your monitors are not going to run when the misfire condition is there. The adaptive numerator must be finished before any of them will run and you also need to be between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of gas.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by TNtech
If your crank and cam aren't in cahoots, you'll set multiple misfires. I believe there is a data item on the scan tool for the cam/crank difference. If not, it will show up on "Set Sync Signal" in the factory scan tool or a high end aftermarket. Your monitors are not going to run when the misfire condition is there. The adaptive numerator must be finished before any of them will run and you also need to be between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of gas.
I didn't think the 96 PCM even cared about fuel level? I know the 98 and up do......

Old 11-15-2017, 10:26 PM
Rob Mueller

Well we are making progress. I replaced the TPS and got rid of six of the eight misfires. I now have a misfire on cylinders 6 and 8 only but i am done for the night, I will try something else tomorrow. if anyone has an idea where to go next let me know.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would be tempted to do a compression or leakdown test......

Old 11-16-2017, 07:22 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stuck valves will cause misfires as well.

Quick Reply: Multiple misfire codes & catalytic converter not ready