2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Multiple misfire codes & catalytic converter not ready

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Rob Mueller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck stalling and RPM running normal & low

I am hoping someone can help me with my new problem. The other day my truck started stalling when I take my foot off the gas to slow down or stop. Most of the time it will start right back up but sometimes I have to give it a little gas. The other thing I noticed is that the RPM's will be at 1100 one day and the next day or the next time I start it it sometimes idles at 500. Can someone tell me what could be causing this to happen please.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

IAC motor is likely failing. You can try cleaning the throttle body first..... take it off the truck to do the job (battery disconnected as well), and remove the IAC, clean the pintle (carefully, try not to move it), and clean out the IAC well THOROUGHLY. After you get it back together, turn the key to "on", (not start) count to ten, (don't touch anything) THEN start it up. The truck should figure it out. If it doesn't, replace the IAC with a genuine mopar unit. The aftermarket fellers don't always work as well as they should.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:51 AM
Rob Mueller

Thank you I will try that today and let you if it works or not.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:39 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Try this first, pull your intake air temp sensor and clean it with something like carb cleaner, then see if that fixes your problem...if not...If you have a scanner that can read live data...or borrow one...let the engine warm up n check these parameters only once the engine is at operating temp and at steady load. 1)fuel trims/both long and short (idle/1500/2500 RPM, can be done n your driveway), 2) is your #1 O2 sensor moving up n down n voltage/% it should move up n down...is your #2 O2 sensor moving up n down in voltage/% it should be steady, and 3) your intake air temp should be around 15/20 degrees warmer than the ambient air temp at idle and relatively low RPMs (if you have a stock intake system). Fuel trims and O2 response will be the class tattletale...BUTT...it'll give you the what, not the why. But take heart, it'll certainly narrow down the search area for where to test next. This way, your not throwing parts at the problem in the vane hope that you might maybe hit the target..

Old 03-18-2018, 12:52 PM
Rob Mueller

Put in a new IAC and truck seems to be running better. Will drive it for a few days and let you know if it starts acting up again. Thank you for your help

Old 03-18-2018, 01:00 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
IAC motor is likely failing. You can try cleaning the throttle body first..... take it off the truck to do the job (battery disconnected as well), and remove the IAC, clean the pintle (carefully, try not to move it), and clean out the IAC well THOROUGHLY. After you get it back together, turn the key to "on", (not start) count to ten, (don't touch anything) THEN start it up. The truck should figure it out. If it doesn't, replace the IAC with a genuine mopar unit. The aftermarket fellers don't always work as well as they should.
Not to discourage this guy but with his being a 96 he may end up having the same problem I did when I looked for a MOPAR TPS. Dodge doesn't stock parts for these 96 anymore unless they were used in the 98+ models. :/

Old 03-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Rob Mueller

I found that out so I went to oreillys and picked up a bwd replacement part seems to be working just fine

Old 03-18-2018, 05:12 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob Mueller
I found that out so I went to oreillys and picked up a bwd replacement part seems to be working just fine
>.> Keep a close eye on that. Mine lasted about a month before it returned to it's old behavior. I'm having hit and miss with the one I got from Autozone which is TPS318. Autozone's parts are third party parts. Even though it says Duralast or valuecraft they're made by a third party. THe upside about them is you can always just google the part number that Autozone has for their parts and it will cross reference with the brand that they used.

My case TPS318 is a Wells part:
Amazon Amazon

I've been seriously considering ordering a Delphi part and trying my luck with that. People seem to swear by them for these older Dodge trucks in the reviews I can find. I mean unless someone can find 96 Mopar TPS for sale. :/

Old 03-19-2018, 04:30 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional

What state are you in? In NC you can get a "NOT READY" waiver, that is, you drive the vehicle, inspect, rejected for not ready, drive about 100 miles, inspect, reject for not ready, repeat. Take documents to DMV, get not ready waiver, and get inspection. If your check engine light comes on, you fail.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:17 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

I've been seriously considering ordering a Delphi part and trying my luck with that. People seem to swear by them for these older Dodge trucks in the reviews I can find.
Reason why is Delphi is a supplier for the auto manufacturers. Can't say for sure but the one you get in the mopar box at the dealer might be made from them.

Quick Reply: Multiple misfire codes & catalytic converter not ready