2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Multiple misfire codes & catalytic converter not ready

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 06:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,285 Likes on 3,032 Posts

Unplug the front O2 sensor and drive it like that for a couple days. (after clearing codes.) The PCM will set an O2 code pretty quickly, but, ignore it, and see if it runs any better.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Rob Mueller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try that tomorrow and see what the truck runs. Another question for you when we had it tested for emissions it told me that the O2 sensor and the catalytic converter are not ready. Is that something that just takes time since they're both new or is there a problem there?

Old 11-10-2017, 08:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, the PCM wants to see a bunch of warmup cycles before it decides the monitors are ready.

Old 11-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Rob Mueller

We get the codes to clear for the test today but,it still failed because the o2 sensors and cat still say not ready. Do we need to drive the truck in order to get the cat and o2''s to become ready or can we just start it, let in warm up, shut in down and let in cool off and then warm it up all over again?

Old 11-11-2017, 06:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rob Mueller
We get the codes to clear for the test today but,it still failed because the o2 sensors and cat still say not ready. Do we need to drive the truck in order to get the cat and o2''s to become ready or can we just start it, let in warm up, shut in down and let in cool off and then warm it up all over again?
Look here. Post number 6.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:25 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 367 Likes on 345 Posts

What codes are you getting(see link)? How long are you driving the truck before you get it inspected? I did mine years ago (new cat and both 02's) cleared codes and went to inspection the next week. No codes and passed emissions.
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 11-12-2017, 08:37 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've experienced multiple misfires because the connection at the pigtail for the cam sensor was full of dirt and grease. You might also inspect the cam sensor for cracks or other damage. It could have been damaged when the cap and rotor work was performed.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:09 AM
Rob Mueller

Originally Posted by Moparite
What codes are you getting(see link)? How long are you driving the truck before you get it inspected? I did mine years ago (new cat and both 02's) cleared codes and went to inspection the next week. No codes and passed emissions.
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm
I cleared the codes and went through the testing lanes only to be told the cat and 02 sensors are not ready. We have been driving the truck around as much as we can on expired tags and it's still saying they are not ready. Is there a way of checking if the cat and 02 sensors are ready without going to the testing lanes?

Old 11-13-2017, 11:09 AM
Rob Mueller

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Look here. Post number 6.
Is there a way of checking if the cat and 02 sensors are ready without going to the testing lanes?

Old 11-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Rob Mueller

Originally Posted by Gary-L
I've experienced multiple misfires because the connection at the pigtail for the cam sensor was full of dirt and grease. You might also inspect the cam sensor for cracks or other damage. It could have been damaged when the cap and rotor work was performed.
I will look into that thanks

Quick Reply: Multiple misfire codes & catalytic converter not ready