2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.2 magnum won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:49 PM
Dferguson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.2 magnum won't start

I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.2 and it won't start. So, here's the issue I just rebuilt the engine truck sat for over a year with no battery. The computer was a week old when the old engine blew. I made sure my timing marks matched up. The distributor is aligned properly and it has a new pickup, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and crank sensor. All the internals are fresh. All the valves loft as they should I pulled the valve cover and rotates the engine to check. Spark is strong and the timing light shows it's dead on. All it does is crank and crank won t start. I drained all of the old gas out put new gas in and the fuel pressure is right on the money. Compression is at 120 on all cylinders with a little compression bleed which should be normal with unused rings. Could the computer lose it's flash or memory from sitting without power. It is pulling a code for the o2 sensors but they havnt been in the exhaust since I bought the truck in 2013. Anyone else have any ideas. All the sensors are connected as well and all the ones on the intake sat inside the truck untouched during the rebuild.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:21 PM
Maximillio
Professional

It shouldn't lose its programming no matter how long it sits. The program is literally flashed into the chips memory and exists there until its changed. You could even take the chip and sand it down and see exactly how it is programmed(Expensive machines only a few college have for research purposes :P) So no, If the computer was at fault, it would've been from shorting or poor connections, not program loss. I cant imagine what would be wrong with it if spark is good and so is fuel and the timing.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:35 PM
Dferguson

Any suggestions

Old 11-28-2017, 09:50 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Originally Posted by Dferguson
Any suggestions
You seem to have checked all the common things I would tell you to check. Its extremely odd that you would have fuel getting in, a good spark, engine crank, and not have ignition. When I swapped an engine into my truck ( not even the same engine size that came out) it started right up after second attempt even on ~year old gas after about 25 seconds of cranking, then started immediately on second key turn.

Also, do you know why the other engine blew? Did you ever find out why?

Old 11-28-2017, 10:09 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dferguson
Any suggestions
Have you verified you have injector action? I don't see that in your list. On a carb engine, I'll often spray started fluid into the air intake to see if it'll fire. You could try that, but I'm not sure how that works with the intake on that 318.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Get yourself a noid light. Any parts store should sell 'em. Check and see if you are getting injector pulse.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:02 PM
ru4him2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Have you verified you have injector action? I don't see that in your list. On a carb engine, I'll often spray started fluid into the air intake to see if it'll fire. You could try that, but I'm not sure how that works with the intake on that 318.
Thanks. I tried both starter fluid and gas. It's a crank, no start. There's no spark and no fuel pump.

Old 02-11-2018, 02:07 PM
ru4him2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maximillio
It shouldn't lose its programming no matter how long it sits. The program is literally flashed into the chips memory and exists there until its changed. You could even take the chip and sand it down and see exactly how it is programmed(Expensive machines only a few college have for research purposes :P) So no, If the computer was at fault, it would've been from shorting or poor connections, not program loss. I cant imagine what would be wrong with it if spark is good and so is fuel and the timing.
I did get a PCM from carcomputerexchange for my vin and then sent it back when it didn't work. They reworked it and sent it back. I can put it in in a couple of days from now.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:19 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

You are commenting on a thread from last year. In your case, try a new Mopar crank sensor.