2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trouble shifting into 2, and slips in 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 12:55 AM
toddean
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy trouble shifting into 2, and slips in 2nd

1995 dodge ram 1500 4wd 5.9L,Automatic trans. 320,000 miles, rebuilt tranny about 4 yrs ago, but low miles on rebuilt tranny, haven't driven it too much.
The truck is having trouble shifting into 2nd. it will shift if I release the accelerator and "help" it into 2nd. Otherwise it will wind out before finally shifting.
Once it's in 2nd if i give it too much gas it will slip back into 1st. Where should I start troubleshooting besides fluid level and throttle cable, those are correct.
Also the speedometer either doesnt work at all or bounces around. any ideas??

Old 02-08-2018, 06:21 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by toddean
1995 dodge ram 1500 4wd 5.9L,Automatic trans. 320,000 miles, rebuilt tranny about 4 yrs ago, but low miles on rebuilt tranny, haven't driven it too much.
The truck is having trouble shifting into 2nd. it will shift if I release the accelerator and "help" it into 2nd. Otherwise it will wind out before finally shifting.
Once it's in 2nd if i give it too much gas it will slip back into 1st. Where should I start troubleshooting besides fluid level and throttle cable, those are correct.
Also the speedometer either doesnt work at all or bounces around. any ideas??
Here is a good method to try (Thanks to HeyYou), unplug the 8 pin connector on the trans. You will lose all electronic functions (won't shift in it's in you'll have to use the column shifter) and see if it shifts when you tell it to. Report back what happens.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Here is a good method to try (Thanks to HeyYou), unplug the 8 pin connector on the trans. You will lose all electronic functions (won't shift in it's in you'll have to use the column shifter) and see if it shifts when you tell it to. Report back what happens.
His is a 95, first three gears are purely hydraulically controlled, PCM only deals with O/D, and TCC. Speedometer won't affect it either, (again, only TCC, and O/D.)

Are you getting any codes? Is the PCM whining about VSS?

Old 02-08-2018, 08:09 AM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VSS ? Is that the Vehicle Speed Sensor ?
I thought I saw, in this forum, something about Automotive abbreviations but can't seem to find it again.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, vehicle speed sensor. Yours is on the tailhousing of the trans, or t-case, depending on how many drive wheels you have.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:58 AM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok Thanks

Old 02-08-2018, 11:39 PM
toddean
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
His is a 95, first three gears are purely hydraulically controlled, PCM only deals with O/D, and TCC. Speedometer won't affect it either, (again, only TCC, and O/D.)

Yes, I've gotten code 51 and code 17. Last night I tried to adjust the front band (kickdown) following the instructions out of the service manual. But the adjusting screw wouldn't tighten up at all. If I would have kept trying to tighten it it would have screwed right on into the tranny, inside lol what's that all about??

Last edited by toddean; 02-08-2018 at 11:44 PM. Reason: to add more info / typos
Old 02-08-2018, 11:59 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Didn't even notice the year, my fault.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by toddean
Yes, I've gotten code 51 and code 17. Last night I tried to adjust the front band (kickdown) following the instructions out of the service manual. But the adjusting screw wouldn't tighten up at all. If I would have kept trying to tighten it it would have screwed right on into the tranny, inside lol what's that all about??
That means either the band strut, or anchor, has fallen out, or, the band is simply worn out.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:31 AM
toddean
Rookie

That means either the band strut, or anchor, has fallen out, or, the band is simply worn out.
Sorry if the answer is obvious and I still don't know what it is....but if that's the case, what do I do to fix it?

Quick Reply: trouble shifting into 2, and slips in 2nd