2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No crank no start 2000 Dodge ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 10:51 PM
kman4443
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No crank no start 2000 Dodge ram 1500

Hello,
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 engine that I got free. The truck has sat for a year and was recovered in Baltimore after being stolen. The previous owner said the truck ran ok before the theft. I replaced the ignition switch (the original one was punched by the thief) and it still will not crank or start. I also noticed that in the accessory on key position the heater/ac blower motor does not respond the radio was stolen so I don't know if it works either in that position. So far as I said I've replaced the ignition switch, checked the fuses and relays, and I know the starter is good as I used the relay to crank the engine without an ignition, however doing so it did not start only rotated. I (ugh) sprayed starter fluid in the intake to see if it would start and to no avail. I'm going to go back and check the relays and fuses again but have not checked the crankshaft position sensor or cam sensor either. I'm thinking its not any of these things because of the fact that the ignition does not even turn on the accessories (yes, it has a good battery tested and charged it) I'm thinking the computer may be the issue? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. This is the first Dodge I've owned in decades last one I had was a 73 Plymouth Duster 340 back in the mid eighties.I need to get this truck started so I can assess it I would like to keep it to help me with some home renovation projects at home.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Does the fuel pump prime when you first turn the key on?

Is the 'security' light on in the dash?

Old 03-31-2018, 08:18 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

I replaced the ignition switch (the original one was punched by the thief) and it still will not crank or start.
Do you mean the ignition lock cylinder or actual switch? If it's the cylinder they are a pain to get in there just right. The cylinder will turn but not move the switch.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:24 PM
kman4443
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moparite
Do you mean the ignition lock cylinder or actual switch? If it's the cylinder they are a pain to get in there just right. The cylinder will turn but not move the switch.
I replaced both the switch and cylinder I checked the installation when I before it I installed it. It went in correctly as per the instructions I got.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:28 PM
kman4443
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou

I listened for the pump and it does not come on unless it is super quiet! it would be the quietest pump I've ever heard LOL! So I would say no.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:25 AM
kman4443
Rookie

No, nothing in the dash lights up when I turn the key on, Also, the key ringer comes on when the key is inserted into the ignition lock so it is getting power and recognizes that at least

Last edited by kman4443; 04-01-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If nothing comes on when you turn the key on, you have a power problem somewhere. Check and see if you are getting power TO the switch.......

Old 04-01-2018, 05:43 PM
kman4443
Rookie

If nothing comes on when you turn the key on, you have a power problem somewhere. Check and see if you are getting power TO the switch.......
I checked the power to the switch, and it is getting power according to my test light. Also, the fuel pump does work (Whew! did not want to have to drop the tank) I removed the cover from the fuel pump relay and was able to manually manipulate the contacts and heard it come on. Checked all the relays and fuses in the under hood fuse/relay box that deal with engine and ignition functions and they all get power. I'm thinking one of three possiblities:

1.The wiring from the ignition switch to the various components may be the issue.

2. The security system may be preventing it from starting since it was stolen, also I noticed that the security system has a relay in the fuse box but it is missing. (I'm not sure if the truck even has a security system, my first experience with Rams. Did they all come standard with a security system back in 2000? if not, that's likely why there is no relay)

3. As I mentioned, the truck sat for a year as the previous owner never got around to fixing it and with a dead battery most of that time I'm guessing. Could the computer need reprogramming?

Addition, I just went out and checked the interior fuses again for power. No power to 10 amp engine fuse (position 9) or the 10 amp ignition FD (position 11) should they get constant power even with the ignition off?

Last edited by kman4443; 04-01-2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think those fuses get power from the ignition switch. Also, a fair few of the relays will have power, even with the ignition off.

If the lights in the dash don't come on when you turn the ignition to on, you still have a problem with the ignition switch.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:43 PM
kman4443
Rookie
Smile

I think those fuses get power from the ignition switch. Also, a fair few of the relays will have power, even with the ignition off.

If the lights in the dash don't come on when you turn the ignition to on, you still have a problem with the ignition switch.
I switched the under hood 50 amp fuse that controls ignition and accessories, (I checked it before, but with 50 yr old eyes it was hard to see it was blown until I checked it again with my reader glasses! aging sucks!) the display now works, but the ignition still would not crank. So I took it back to Autozone and tried a different switch and it now cranks the engine. Next battle it getting it to run, it will crank now but not start but it has been sitting for a year and I only devoted about 15 minutes to that issue.(I ran out of time) Thanks for the advice!! I will wrench on it some more tomorrow if I have time.

Quick Reply: No crank no start 2000 Dodge ram 1500