2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Minimum fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 07:20 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Also, check the upstream O2 sensor connector 1)is it plugged in, 2)is it clean and 3)do a circuit trace to the ECM of the wires if nothing else is obvious. Trims are your problem here. That's why your sputtering n stalling. If the negative trim continues, it might be a bad O2 sensor, but that's an educated guess based on snapshot data. How's your air filter...clean/new?

Old 04-11-2018, 07:43 AM
true blue
Veteran

One last note, all of these numbers are done at idle, it would be very helpful to see some numbers at 1500 and 2500 RPM as well. Might tell us more about the problem.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by true blue
One last note, all of these numbers are done at idle, it would be very helpful to see some numbers at 1500 and 2500 RPM as well. Might tell us more about the problem.
Yeah, I expect things to be a little lean at idle, but, the numbers I am seeing here are just a bit extreme.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:40 PM
beau680
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These plugs have just over 20k on them an they were in a brand new engine
Ok first off. When you say circuit trace you mean check the voltage at the front o2 on a cold start until it warms up. Like the book describes? It says voltage on cold should be 0.1 to 0.2 volts until warm which should then be 0.1 to 0.9 volts.
I have had no electrical problems other than an issue I had with my o2 sensors a few months back. Which heyyou had helped me come to a conclusion that it didn’t like the particular brand I was using an seems to like the Bosch after I had gotten around to it. I am thinking this may be relatedness in some way. Maybe if you have some time you can over the thread an see if either of these issues seem to go together at all. The thread is labeled “inconsistent stalling issue”.

I have pulled my plugs I will upload a pic because I’m not to positive on the condition of these it seems it would be fuel fouling but I’ll let you decide.

In the process I have ruined a plug wire so any further testing will have to wait until a trip to auto parts store. I do have the ability to produce data while driving as soon as I get it going again I will do so

i appreciate the help on this issue

Old 04-11-2018, 02:46 PM
beau680
Professional

also when I was pulling these plugs I had gotten a really strong smell of fuel.
Which I thought was odd never really got the fuel smell like that pulling plugs.
One more thing the fuel consumption is just literally in the toilet since I installed this engine 3 years ago. I get about 230-240 a tank. Before the old engine took a crap I was able to pull 320-330 a tank
well thought I’d add that in there

Old 04-11-2018, 03:10 PM
true blue
Veteran

what r the specs on this engine opposed to the old one...what year, size, cam, crank, pistons, compression ratio, heads...that kinda thing. High fuel usage is helpful info to know, considering the heavy duty leaning of the short term fuel trims. What brand of plugs are those? Nothing out of the ordinary looking on the plugs. As far as "circuit test"...visual check the O2 sensor wiring and ring it with an ohm meter between the O2 plug and the ECM connector. Sometime, the connectors are corroded or burnt. Just make sure the battery's disconnected before you pull the ECM connector off.
Still not to clear as to why the long term fuel trim is always "0"...that's just not right. The short term negative number says...I'm shutting the fuel WAAAAY down to this beast. The closest it got to 0 was -7.8, but that's a snapshot only so I don't wanna diagnose based on a pic, it's like showing your buddies a headshot "only" of your girl...what's the rest of her look like?...ya know? Need a continuous feed. Upload your live test to youtube or something.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:08 PM
beau680
Professional

Ok gonna grab some wires this afternoon an Ill run those tests an see what I come up with an upload it to YouTube.
The plugs are Ngk iridium.
I contact the place I had gotten the engine from, the engine has “stock” components. Although it is a reman it was bored .30 over.
I had purchased new cylinder head castings an a shop did a clean an grind on valves an transfered em out of my old heads

Old 04-11-2018, 05:38 PM
beau680
Professional

So I’m not positive i am doing this correctly I have an ohm meter. I unplugged the harness at the ecm an have identified what I believe to be the upstream o2 sensor. Book says a4 is ground. An a24 is sensor signal.
I hook up my meter on the “headphone” section at 2000k an it reads 54.
I hook it up 200k an it reads 54.1
if not uploading a pic of my ohm meter Incase I’m on the wrong setting

Last edited by beau680; 04-11-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:23 PM
true blue
Veteran

You wanna know at this point that the wiring is good. How'd the visual inspection go? If you've Id'd the slots in the ECM and the upstream O2 connectors, do they look clean and run either test lead to the connector at the ECM and the other (thru a jumper) to the O2 connector. you're looking for right around 0 ohms. Also, wiggle the wires around both connectors while continuing to measure resistance and see if the reading changes. If both read around 0 ohms, the O2 sensor cable is okay. This is either a 3 or 4 wire connector. 1 is the O2 sensor, 1 is ground for same, 1 is for the preheat circuit and, 1 is for preheat ground. If alls well, reconnect the O2 sensor and ECM cable back up, unplug the downstream O2 sensor and start her up and see what happens.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:25 PM
true blue
Veteran

Also wanted to rule out a mod'ed engine that would be unable to run properly with the "stock" ECM.

Quick Reply: Minimum fuel pressure