2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4th gen "hidden" floor storage

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:04 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts
Default 4th gen "hidden" floor storage

Hello guys! I off road a decent bit and needed more storage for some items and I thought about installing them "boxes" that the 3rd gens and 4th gens have under the floor mats and have a question. Now before I get to my question about lot of you are probably thinking you have a bed, use it! Well I do, for hauling and it would be a hassle to take everything out when I need to haul and I can't just left it in there because of thieves. Now my question is, is there a seal that goes around them to stop water from coming in? I have the boxes but they didn't come with seals. Thanks!

Old 04-19-2018, 04:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

You would think there should be, at the very least, and a drain in the framing as well, so, when people get in with their snowy/dirty feet, it doesn't all just drain into the box. I think I would take a look at what you have, and improve on it...... (a drain in the box may not be a bad idea either. )

Old 04-20-2018, 01:11 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

The boxes started in 09 with the 4th gens, the 3rds never had them. Put a small lockbox in the truck instead of a plastic bin if you're thinking of security. Or just spring for a real tool box like Protech or Highway Products. Steel boxes with T handles are also very secure. Can be had as small as 18x12.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:44 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You would think there should be, at the very least, and a drain in the framing as well, so, when people get in with their snowy/dirty feet, it doesn't all just drain into the box. I think I would take a look at what you have, and improve on it...... (a drain in the box may not be a bad idea either. )
They have a drain plug so in case you use them as a beer cooler.
Originally Posted by Ramman18
The boxes started in 09 with the 4th gens, the 3rds never had them. Put a small lockbox in the truck instead of a plastic bin if you're thinking of security. Or just spring for a real tool box like Protech or Highway Products. Steel boxes with T handles are also very secure. Can be had as small as 18x12.
I​​​​​​ assumed 3rd gens have them because I bought one with them and my buddy has one with them. I need something deep and liked the idea of using one as a cooler also. 18X12in?

Old 04-20-2018, 10:47 AM
Ramman18
Champion

I must be confused. I was referring to the back row foot storage bins under the floor mats which are optional on 4th gens. If there was something similar on 3rd gens I have yet to see or read of anything. It was a big marketing push for 4th gens in 09. There is storage under the seats on 3rd gens, though.

I mistyped the dimensions on the DeltaPro box. They make a 18x18" so I thought mine was 18x12. In fact it is only 14x12 (HxD). And yes, this is inches. You'd probably have to remove the rear seat to mount it properly. I've searched everywhere for years to find in cab secure storage solutions for my truck and its very difficult without major modification.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:40 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I must be confused. I was referring to the back row foot storage bins under the floor mats which are optional on 4th gens. If there was something similar on 3rd gens I have yet to see or read of anything. It was a big marketing push for 4th gens in 09. There is storage under the seats on 3rd gens, though.

I mistyped the dimensions on the DeltaPro box. They make a 18x18" so I thought mine was 18x12. In fact it is only 14x12 (HxD). And yes, this is inches. You'd probably have to remove the rear seat to mount it properly. I've searched everywhere for years to find in cab secure storage solutions for my truck and its very difficult without major modification.
You are correct I'm taking about under the floor mat storage bins. Just want to keep something in there like ropes jumper cables etc. There Deltapro box goes under the rear seat or mounted in the floor?

Old 04-21-2018, 11:25 AM
Ramman18
Champion

It would have to mount to the floor with the seat up. But these are serious steel boxes that are used on commercial flat beds and such known as "underbody boxes" for hauling chains, tools, etc. It's small enough to even mount in the bed and still leave plenty of room for other stuff. I had an aluminum crossover box broken into once that was a piece of crap so I went this route. Only way in now is a torch.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:27 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

It would have to mount to the floor with the seat up. But these are serious steel boxes that are used on commercial flat beds and such known as "underbody boxes" for hauling chains, tools, etc. It's small enough to even mount in the bed and still leave plenty of room for other stuff. I had an aluminum crossover box broken into once that was a piece of crap so I went this route. Only way in now is a torch.
I'll look into that one I mount these floor boxes. I really just want them to store stuff and they would have to break into the truck to get to it. And most people don't know they even exist

Old 04-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Breaking into the truck is a heckuva lot easier than into a steel box mounted to a steel bed/frame! Gimme a screwdriver and I'm in your truck in 2 seconds.

Old 04-23-2018, 02:31 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Breaking into the truck is a heckuva lot easier than into a steel box mounted to a steel bed/frame! Gimme a screwdriver and I'm in your truck in 2 seconds.
That is technically true but my alarm system and freeze away lock name it just a tiny bit harder really if a thief wants what you got them nothing will stop them

Quick Reply: 4th gen "hidden" floor storage