2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ECT Sensor question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 09:40 PM
Rinn
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These trucks run forever on empty.lol Still idling away. I will update tomorrow after it runs out and I put fresh gas in. Probably wouldnt hurt to throw in some seafoam as well.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:13 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

There should be room to drill and tap a hole for the other sensor. Use a vacuum to suck up the chips while drilling and tapping. Looks like the injectors are the same and the 2 wire coolant sensors are the same. Hopefully fresh gas and Seafoam does the trick.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:31 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

Did you change the spark plugs, cap, and rotor? Did you get the wires back on in the correct firing order? Check your vacuum lines. Has the distributor been moved? That could cause a fuel sync (injector timing) problem. There is a mark to set it with to get it to run so it can be set with a scanner.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:18 PM
Rinn
Amateur

Im wondering if the gas gauge is wrong. It is still idling. I shut it off last night but its been running about an hour so far today. I did check all the vacuum lines and I will check to make sure the wires are ran right. Its idling pretty good but stumbles every 3 or 4 seconds. I will put a timing light on it to make sure the distributor didn't get moved around. I didn't change the plugs, cap and wires. They look new to me (haven't pulled the plugs to look at them) and the motor ran good before I pulled it from the other truck.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:23 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

The ECM controls timing. Moving the distributor adjusts fuel sync, which is a fancy way of saying fuel injector timing. It should be OK if the distributor wasn't loosened. Being it ran good before, hopefully it is a fuel issue.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:36 PM
Rinn
Amateur

Finally ran out of gas. I just added fresh gas and seafoam. Im going to pull the spark plugs before I start it. Going from 5.9 to a 5.2 I understand it will run rich but shouldnt it still be driveable under a slightly rich condition? If everything checks out good but it continues to run like it is Im guessing I will have to do the ECM and harness change. Will I need an ecm and harness from an automatic truck or will the ones I have in the manual donor truck work?

Old 04-28-2018, 05:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Once it goes into closed loop, it should run ok. (about two minutes) It will drop back in to open loop if you step hard on the gas.....

Old 04-28-2018, 11:43 PM
Rinn
Amateur

Plugs looked fouled and a couple were damp. Smelled like gas. I just picked up new plugs and will put them in in the morning. Wires and cap look new. A couple of the plugs also had some brown foul marks on the outside where the porcelain meets the metal part of the sparkplug. I did start the truck before going to town for the new plugs and let it run about 10 minutes. No change in the way it runs so far.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:45 PM
Rinn
Amateur

New plugs, same result. Nothing different. Now the starter went out. Thank God I have a lot of extra parts for it.lol I checked the timing and it is right where it should be. I will update as I go. I pulled the idle air control valve and its pretty nasty looking so Im going to clean it and the throttle body although Im not sure why it would affect it now when it ran good in the other truck. I looked down in the plenum as well to see if there was oil in there but its clean.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:57 PM
Rinn
Amateur

Update, swapped the pcm's from the 98 to the 97. Runs a lot better and takes gas in gear. Still has a miss and a vibration and the tach does not work. Im going to get a pcm from a 97 5.2 with auto trans and start there. I did put a new 5.2 flex plate on during the swap but thought I read somewhere that the torque converters are the same with the exception of the 5.9 having a balance weight on it and 5.2 not having the weight due to it being internally balanced. Can the weight be removed to try and help with the vibration?

Quick Reply: ECT Sensor question