2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 1500 Front End

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Google images has a ton of pics of lifts, T and Y steering, etc.

That part pictured is the drag link and goes from passenger side knuckle to pitman arm where there's an adjuster sleeve and another small tie rod.

The hole is for the long tie rod from the drag link to the driver's knuckle. When all are attached it forms a "Y" that it sitting laterally.
That's what I tried telling them but they say it gone on the driver's tie rod right after the small tie rod into the sleeve I couldn't find anyone on Google that was an 01

Old 05-07-2018, 02:14 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Try looking at pictures on Rock Auto. It looks like they used 2 different set ups in 2001. They need to get the ones that match your truck. Also consider XRF, I like the parts I got for my Excursion.

Last edited by 2bit; 05-07-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:52 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I see what's going on. Keep in mind that the following refers to Y steering only. The T steering is its own animal from 98-99 HD models.

There are TWO different types of steering stabilizer designs during the 2nd gen run: 1 has a stud that mounts directly to the driver's inner tie rod (the long one with the hole about center) and the 2nd has no hole as the shock is mounted via 2 ubolts around the tie rod. When and which years this change occurs is ambiguous. Generally speaking, the early 2nd gens (94-97) had the hold/stud design. However, it appears that late late 2nd gens (01-02) also have this according to the pics. Mid-late 2nd gens (98-99) have the ubolt design like mine. Since the ubolts also fit the HD size tie rods, it's possible that Dodge went back to the stud when the HD steering was discontinued in 2000.

That being said, I am wrong as well as OP, "according to the book." The shop is correct as the part listed is indeed the left inner (driver's) tie rod with a hole for the stud mounted shock stabilizer. The right outer (passenger) tie rod has the hole much closer to the ball joint for the left inner to attach. The small tie rod that attaches to the driver inner is listed under "tie rods." The small tie rod that attaches to the pitman arm is called a "center link."

That that being said, you will have to physically go under your truck and see whether you have the stud or ubolt mounted stabilizer. This will determine which tie rod to get as Dodge was probably scraping the bottom of the barrel in 01 closing out the solid axle parts bin.

That that that being said, you will have to get 01 tie rod as the tapers were changed 2000 when going to new knuckles and 2 piston brakes. Do not get older tie rods as they won't seat properly in the knuckles. If you have the ubolt mounted shock, then this will be a lot more tricky. Can you please describe in more detail exactly which side and lenth tie rod you need?

Or just screw it all and get T steering, oh wait, you can't because the tapers are different. What you CAN do is get the 08 OEM T steering which will mod into your knuckles but comes sans grease zerks.

Whew! Got that?

Old 05-07-2018, 05:13 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I see what's going on. Keep in mind that the following refers to Y steering only. The T steering is its own animal from 98-99 HD models.

There are TWO different types of steering stabilizer designs during the 2nd gen run: 1 has a stud that mounts directly to the driver's inner tie rod (the long one with the hole about center) and the 2nd has no hole as the shock is mounted via 2 ubolts around the tie rod. When and which years this change occurs is ambiguous. Generally speaking, the early 2nd gens (94-97) had the hold/stud design. However, it appears that late late 2nd gens (01-02) also have this according to the pics. Mid-late 2nd gens (98-99) have the ubolt design like mine. Since the ubolts also fit the HD size tie rods, it's possible that Dodge went back to the stud when the HD steering was discontinued in 2000.

That being said, I am wrong as well as OP, "according to the book." The shop is correct as the part listed is indeed the left inner (driver's) tie rod with a hole for the stud mounted shock stabilizer. The right outer (passenger) tie rod has the hole much closer to the ball joint for the left inner to attach. The small tie rod that attaches to the driver inner is listed under "tie rods." The small tie rod that attaches to the pitman arm is called a "center link."

That that being said, you will have to physically go under your truck and see whether you have the stud or ubolt mounted stabilizer. This will determine which tie rod to get as Dodge was probably scraping the bottom of the barrel in 01 closing out the solid axle parts bin.

That that that being said, you will have to get 01 tie rod as the tapers were changed 2000 when going to new knuckles and 2 piston brakes. Do not get older tie rods as they won't seat properly in the knuckles. If you have the ubolt mounted shock, then this will be a lot more tricky. Can you please describe in more detail exactly which side and lenth tie rod you need?

Or just screw it all and get T steering, oh wait, you can't because the tapers are different. What you CAN do is get the 08 OEM T steering which will mod into your knuckles but comes sans grease zerks.

Whew! Got that?
I sorta do what gets me is I have no u bolt mounted steering stabilizer but I have the stuff but it diddoes mount there. My truck is a 2500 with 1500 axles as when I bought the truck it came with no axles could find the factory Dana 60/80 so I went with 1500 axles. See the pic below and you'll see where my steering stabilizer mounts and the part that is circled is the part I'm looking for. I eventually want to upgrade to T-steering and I'm buying Dana 60/60 from Hey You which will make it a 2500 again. But please tell me more about the 08 setup. Also going to a 3rd gen track bar.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:04 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I want to say that hole is where the steering stabilizer connects and the other end bolts to the axle near the track bar.
Here's one without the hole
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...5667&jsn=10666

Last edited by 2bit; 05-07-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

That's the Y steering. So, the joint end goes to what would nominally be the drag link, which has the right tie rod end attached. Other end goes the the left outer tie rod. Yeah, the design changed over time, and I suspect that piece has the hole for the steering stabilizer in it, so they can use on part number for either version of the Y steering. Its also possible that the left inner tie rod, may all well be the right OUTER tie rod for the HD steering........ so, the hole would still be for the steering stabilizer......

Old 05-07-2018, 10:29 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's the Y steering. So, the joint end goes to what would nominally be the drag link, which has the right tie rod end attached. Other end goes the the left outer tie rod. Yeah, the design changed over time, and I suspect that piece has the hole for the steering stabilizer in it, so they can use on part number for either version of the Y steering. Its also possible that the left inner tie rod, may all well be the right OUTER tie rod for the HD steering........ so, the hole would still be for the steering stabilizer......
Explain again please lol even if that hole on the part they set is for my truck there is no way the steering stabilizer could mount there as the drag link is in the way

Old 05-07-2018, 11:39 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

AHA!

You have a frankenstiened truck!! Well, why didn't you say so!??!!?

Next time, you should really lead with that . . . .

Whatever year the axles are, that's what you need to buy. No wonder the parts store and we were all confused. And if the year is between 94-99, you can run the T steering. My guess is early 2nd like 94, 95 from the looks of it. But I'd save the money and just order T steering instead of this one tie rod. The Y steering is really only decent up to a certain height and on yours it actually looks like a "Y" which is too tall. You're at its limit.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:02 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

AHA!

Whatever year the axles are, that's what you need to buy. No wonder the parts store and we were all confused. And if the year is between 94-99, you can run the T steering. My guess is early 2nd like 94, 95 from the looks of it. But I'd save the money and just order T steering instead of this one tie rod. The Y steering is really only decent up to a certain height and on yours it actually looks like a "Y" which is too tall. You're at its limit.
The axles were suppose to be out of an 01 but I'm thinking 97 and down but I don't know how to find out. I thought everyone knew that by now :b but for $400 truck I can't complain :b. It was originally a diesel. What are the advantages for the T steering over the Y? How do I cover to T steering?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:03 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

AHA!

​​​​​​ Also I used the supposed axle years so I said "01 Ram 1500"

Quick Reply: 01 1500 Front End