2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 01:10 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
I used that stuff last year or so ago. I cut off the rusted out outer lower part of my lower front fender and treated the inner remaining part of the fender. I'm waiting to invest in a welder to put the new skin (patch panel) over that part. I did as directions said and already have rust coming through. I also treated lower seams o both doors. I'm not sure how those are going to hold up but it doesn't look promising. I removed my rear bumper and also treated the back side of it. Time will tell on that and it seams to be the most promising piece I did. I didn't see the Blast part of the kit doing really anything. Not impressed so far. I hope you get better results. I got some Ospho and plan on sanding out old and trying again on the body. I don't think lI would have as many issues if I could park the truck and do it "right". Daily driving while doing body work sucks lol.
You work be correct. I do believe your prep wasn't done right. If you don't get both sides rust can come through on the back side. This is a trial run before I invest, so far all the other manufacturers (POR15, Chassis Saver, and another brand I can't remember) failed so if this doesn't work I'll powder coat the frame

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 03-28-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,293 Likes on 3,040 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
You work be correct. I do believe your prep wasn't done right. If toy dinner get both sides rust can come through on the back side. This is a trial run before I invest, so far all the other manufacturers (POR15, Chassis Saver, and another brand I can't remember) failed so if this doesn't work I'll powder coat the frame
What??? You really need to pay more attention to what your phone is posting.

I really like the chassis saver stuff. I used it on my mower deck, and it is still holding up really well.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What??? You really need to pay more attention to what your phone is posting.

I really like the chassis saver stuff. I used it on my mower deck, and it is still holding up really well.
Sorry man lol

It didn't hold up on my frame. What was your prep

Old 03-28-2020, 01:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,293 Likes on 3,040 Posts

Sorry man lol

It didn't hold up on my frame. What was your prep
Sand-blasted to bare metal, wiped down with metal prep (phosphoric acid, essentially) then brushed on. Let it get a bit tacky, and applied a second coat. The stuff that got where I didn't want it, I had to use a grinder to take it off. Sand-blaster wouldn't touch it. Even a chisel and hammer wasn't very effective.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Sand-blasted to bare metal, wiped down with metal prep (phosphoric acid, essentially) then brushed on. Let it get a bit tacky, and applied a second coat. The stuff that got where I didn't want it, I had to use a grinder to take it off. Sand-blaster wouldn't touch it. Even a chisel and hammer wasn't very effective.
Basically what I did abs it didn't hold up. Mhmm maybe a bad batch. This is a good bit cheaper though so maybe it will be just as good. Time will tell

Old 03-30-2020, 05:23 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You work be correct. I do believe your prep wasn't done right. If you don't get both sides rust can come through on the back side. This is a trial run before I invest, so far all the other manufacturers (POR15, Chassis Saver, and another brand I can't remember) failed so if this doesn't work I'll powder coat the frame
It's possible my prep wasn't right and rust was from the other side. I haven't looked at it that close lately to see what happened but will let you know. Toy dinner? Is that like a happy meal?

Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by racefan41
It's possible my prep wasn't right and rust was from the other side. I haven't looked at it that close lately to see what happened but will let you know. Toy dinner? Is that like a happy meal?
Yeah let me know! Yeah its my reward I give myself when I don't curse as much wrenching

Old 04-02-2020, 12:02 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default Steering Kit

So a little update here. I made an option with a tapered bolt so you don't have to drill your knuckles. There is no bump steer that I can tell without stabilizers. Since I have 40s I ran a low and a high mount stabilizers, with the low mount mounted opposite of factory. I will be ready to sell these sometime this month.

I now am preparing to put Hydro assist on my truck

Old 04-23-2020, 12:41 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default Added Steering Wheel Controls

Added Steering wheel Controls. Not only do they control the radio and phone functions, but I am working on them controlling the heater controls.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:55 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Took out the dash and interior to deep clean everything even the sheet metal. Also to run some wires so they are hidden

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Restoration