2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Acceleration issue, RPM bouncing at specific speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 11:53 AM
C12Creed
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration issue, RPM bouncing at specific speed

1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.2L

"Between 15 and 30mph, the rpms jump until I get past 30mph. Another thing I noticed is that if I hold the accel pedal down at the same spot where it constantly jumps until it reaches 30 (compared to flooring it so it doesnt jump and gets out of 30 quickly, it does one last quick jump before it seems to shift into the next gear (which I assume is 2nd).

Any other thoughts? The only other idea I found was Spark Plugs being worn, but I replaced them in the beginning of March. The spark plugs did drive with a "misfire" for one month though. To elaborate, the 8th plug was broken in half and hard to get out until I bought a gator socket. The wire and fuel connection were disconnected until the issue was fixed. Do you think that 1 month could have actually caused such an issue that needs me to replace all the plugs again? I may just try it anyway,since its only 26$ for them all."

Quote above is from my thread on the issue from mid-June. I had a family emergency and delayed on this, so I decided to reup the thread. I plan on doing the spark plugs tomorrow. If that does not solve it, the next possibility I have not done yet is a vacuum leak test. Here is a list of what I have replaced/done towards this problem, AFTER the issue I had with the 8th spark plug misfire:

Wireset, Distributor Cap/Rotor, Air Filter, Throttle Body,, TPS, IACV, MAP, both O2 sensors, both VSS sensors, Oil Change with Seafoam treatment for fuel as well

Any ideas? Besides the vacuum leak test, I was also told to find someone who can data log. Other than that, the only thing I noticed on other forums was the transmission filter. I have not done a trans service, however my mobile mechanic said the fluid looked great. My truck also drives perfectly besides this issue. The shifts are smooth when not shifting under this condition. Thanks to everyone who can help out!

I will post a video of the specific issue when I find a safe time and place to do so.

Last edited by C12Creed; 07-29-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the RPMs are bouncing does the truck jerk too like it's struggling to get into the next gear?

Old 07-29-2018, 12:24 PM
C12Creed
Rookie

It jerks back and forward due to the rpm's going up and down but its not horrible, just noticeable. It is only a 2/300rpm bounce on average. Although it does not seem like its struggling, I have heard of it called "hunting" for the shift which is why I was suggested to do the trans filter.

The most annoying issue this causes is when I am driving from 0 on a green light, especially while taking a turn, where people behind me will tailgate because the RPMs act up and I cant accelerate forward until it slowly reaches the shift and the bouncing goes away. Once the bouncing starts, I can not floor it because it will just bounce at a higher rpm without gaining actual speed. I can only floor it from atg least 10mph to get past the bouncing area, when it shifts around 30/35mph. Does that make sense?

Old 07-29-2018, 12:39 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by C12Creed
It jerks back and forward due to the rpm's going up and down but its not horrible, just noticeable. It is only a 2/300rpm bounce on average. Although it does not seem like its struggling, I have heard of it called "hunting" for the shift which is why I was suggested to do the trans filter.

The most annoying issue this causes is when I am driving from 0 on a green light, especially while taking a turn, where people behind me will tailgate because the RPMs act up and I cant accelerate forward until it slowly reaches the shift and the bouncing goes away. Once the bouncing starts, I can not floor it because it will just bounce at a higher rpm without gaining actual speed. I can only floor it from atg least 10mph to get past the bouncing area, when it shifts around 30/35mph. Does that make sense?
I wonder if your transmission is slipping

Old 07-29-2018, 12:45 PM
C12Creed
Rookie

Wouldn't it slip even when I floor it to bypass the issue though?

In regards to the scenario I mentioned, if I floor it(or even just giving more gas than cruising amount) from the light it will shift perfectly during the turn/end of the turn.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Wouldn't it slip even when I floor it to bypass the issue though?

In regards to the scenario I mentioned, if I floor it(or even just giving more gas than cruising amount) from the light it will shift perfectly during the turn/end of the turn.
I'm no transmission expert just throwing an idea out there. Can you check the fuel pressure while driving? Needing do you have a fuel pressure guage till?

Old 07-29-2018, 01:38 PM
C12Creed
Rookie

I mean yes, my fuel gauge works perfect. If you mean a gauge that shows psi or something else,I dont have it. I think fuel is fine though, my mechanic tested the pump and rails when I first got it. I'll have the shop see what they say when I do diagnostics if spark plugs doesnt fix it.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I mean yes, my fuel gauge works perfect. If you mean a gauge that shows psi or something else,I dont have it. I think fuel is fine though, my mechanic tested the pump and rails when I first got it. I'll have the shop see what they say when I do diagnostics if spark plugs doesnt fix it.
You could be losing pressure on at that speed. And yes I meant a PSI guage

Old 07-29-2018, 01:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Unplug the front O2 sensor. Problem gone? Replace the sensor.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:57 PM
C12Creed
Rookie

I'll find out what I can do about the psi/gauge.

o2 sensors I just replaced both but I will unplug it and drive to find out.

Quick Reply: Acceleration issue, RPM bouncing at specific speed