2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE transmission removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:51 AM
Charlie Laforge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
When I remove the transmission, I place the ratchet strap from framerail to framerail, and under the engine oil pan so it won't tilt down. I noticed with Cummins, that it has the engine mounts middle of the block, so the strap wasn't doing much about anything. But you can never be too safe when working with these machines.
Yep, my plan is to do exactly that, hang a strap to the frame under the oil pan to keep the engine in place. Would I support the transmission after I take the cross member out? Or is it fine to leave it hanging for a bit?

Old 10-05-2018, 11:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I would have a jack under it...... it's pretty heavy.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:36 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Laforge
I dropped both drive shafts as well as the exhaust removed, I still need the starter taken out and the wiring along with the transfer case, after this am I just looking at the bolts holding the transmission to the engine ?
Don't forget to remove the torque converter bolts. It's going to be oily mess if you pull the trans out and leave the tc to the flexplate.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:57 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Explain that a little better never heard of that trick
Tried to find a picture, as they say, picture is worth of a thousand words. But didn't find none.
I crawl under the truck, take the strap over and down the framerail and place the hook to something solid like body mount or use some conviently placed hole on a frame. Same to the other side, just keeping the strap under the oilpan. Ratchet placement is crucial, as it needs to have room to get it loose.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:44 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Tried to find a picture, as they say, picture is worth of a thousand words. But didn't find none.
I crawl under the truck, take the strap over and down the framerail and place the hook to something solid like body mount or use some conviently placed hole on a frame. Same to the other side, just keeping the strap under the oilpan. Ratchet placement is crucial, as it needs to have room to get it loose.
Oh I use a cheery picker for that. That's a good idea though! Thought you were talking about the transmission not the engine

Old 10-06-2018, 12:22 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran

Explain that a little better never heard of that trick

OP I can't stress this enough SPREAD THE FRAME RAILS!! Or it's a PITA to get the crossmember back in
I really can't stress enough how much I wish I had just done this from the beginning

Old 10-06-2018, 04:04 PM
HeikIlm
Captain

Oh I use a cheery picker for that. That's a good idea though! Thought you were talking about the transmission not the engine
When I started to work with these trucks, we had such a small garage, that there really wasn't any room for the cherry picker. So I started to use the ratchet strap when working with transmissions. Now that when the engine is secured with the strap, I can push the truck out from the garage if something else needs to get in. Not to mention the fact that cherry picker is not in a way if some other maintenance or repair needs to be done.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:37 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

When I started to work with these trucks, we had such a small garage, that there really wasn't any room for the cherry picker. So I started to use the ratchet strap when working with transmissions. Now that when the engine is secured with the strap, I can push the truck out from the garage if something else needs to get in. Not to mention the fact that cherry picker is not in a way if some other maintenance or repair needs to be done.
You got a point there! Luckily I never had to to fix another vehicle before my truck was done

Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 AM
Charlie Laforge
Amateur
Default The transmission will be dropped today...

It took awhile but the trans will be coming out today and brought to the transmission shop to be rebuilt, fingers crossed all the parts will go back together lol.

Quick Reply: 46RE transmission removal