2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Saying Hello & 2001 ram 1500 coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 03:12 PM
Grantsmoore
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saying Hello & 2001 ram 1500 coolant leak

Hello everybody. I’ve visited this forum a few times to find advise for issues I’ve had with my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 4x2. It’s leaking coolant but I can’t tell from where. It’s been leaking for over a week but I’ve been in the process of moving and I work until dark so I haven’t had a chance to find it. I’ve been keeping the reserve full of water. I’ve seen others replacing their water pumps but recently I’ll open my hood and coolant will be on top of the radiator, the alternator, dripping from the bottom of the hood, and just everywhere. I suppose that’s happening while I’m driving but sometimes when i shut it off, it will leak a continuous drip for a few minutes before stopping and I can’t see where it’s coming from. Do y’all they it could be still be the water pump and that when I drive the pressure is so great that it’s shooting it all over the inside under my hood? Or what other suggestions do y’all have?

Old 11-02-2018, 03:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Probably the weep hole in the water pump, it will drop coolant onto the inside of the water pump pulley, and sling it EVERYWHERE........ while the engine is running. Rather hard to see as well.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Grantsmoore

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Probably the weep hole in the water pump, it will drop coolant onto the inside of the water pump pulley, and sling it EVERYWHERE........ while the engine is running. Rather hard to see as well.
thank you for a quick response! Is my only solution to replace the whole water pump?

Old 11-02-2018, 03:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Pretty much. It's actually easier/cheaper to simply replace the whole thing, than it is to rebuild it. (and I am not entirely sure if you could even get the parts to do so.) If you have over 100K miles on your truck, it wouldn't hurt to do the timing chain and gears as well. Another 100 bucks or so in parts, and six more bolts once the water pump is out of the way. Saves having to do the job again later..... My luck, the timing cover starts leaking after doing the water pump, so, taking it off and resealing it is just a good idea.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:55 PM
Grantsmoore

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pretty much. It's actually easier/cheaper to simply replace the whole thing, than it is to rebuild it. (and I am not entirely sure if you could even get the parts to do so.) If you have over 100K miles on your truck, it wouldn't hurt to do the timing chain and gears as well. Another 100 bucks or so in parts, and six more bolts once the water pump is out of the way. Saves having to do the job again later..... My luck, the timing cover starts leaking after doing the water pump, so, taking it off and resealing it is just a good idea.
Lol i really appreciate your help.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:38 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

I had a problem like you are describing. Turned out to be the upper radiator hose. It had a hole in it but only when the vehicle was driving. When idling it didn't leak. It threw coolant onto the fan and the fan flung it all over the engine bay.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:08 PM
Grantsmoore

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I had a problem like you are describing. Turned out to be the upper radiator hose. It had a hole in it but only when the vehicle was driving. When idling it didn't leak. It threw coolant onto the fan and the fan flung it all over the engine bay.
thats why I’ve been hesitant to pull the trigger on changing the water pump. I’d hate to throw time and money on a water pump and it still leak. Is there anyway check that with changing the hose?

Old 11-02-2018, 06:17 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Grantsmoore

thats why I’ve been hesitant to pull the trigger on changing the water pump. I’d hate to throw time and money on a water pump and it still leak. Is there anyway check that with changing the hose?
Usually if they look old replace them. I have two methods. Method 1. (It can make you miss leaks) just move the hose (squeeze it, push it, pull it, etc) look all around the hose for cracks.
Method 2. (I usually always use this method and you can't miss anything unless you aren't paying attention) Take the hose off (you will have to drain the coolant but you can save it if you use a clean pan) and move it around.
Honestly though 99% if the time it's the pump. Start the vehicle and see where it's dripping from. If you have over 100K what I would do (if your funds allow it) is replace the water pump (Gates is the best), radiator (all aluminum one if you can, if not factory replacement. Although the aluminum one is only $35 more), new 180° thermostat, and flush the whole system (Search "Chris Fix Super Flush" on YouTube. He shows you how to do it rather than me typing it. As coolant ages it loses its ability to inhibit rust. The block rusts and can clog or hurt the efficiency of the cooling system. But if you can't afford all that a water pump replacement will do just fine. Now what I do recommend if you are doing the pump is a new severe duty clutch fan. As the clutch fan can be out of wack which can put more stain on the water pump bearing.

Quick Reply: Saying Hello & 2001 ram 1500 coolant leak