2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1st time builder

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:21 PM
I WILL RULE YOU!
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pressure from my stock is fine. Just tired of it and replacing everything

Old 11-08-2018, 03:50 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Borgeson is good as long as you buy the steering shaft and your truck isn't lifted
I have a Borgeson box and did go with their intermediate shaft. My truck is the standard height for a '96 Ram 2500 4x4. What's the issue with a Borgeson box if the truck is lifted?

Old 11-08-2018, 06:02 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
I have a Borgeson box and did go with their intermediate shaft. My truck is the standard height for a '96 Ram 2500 4x4. What's the issue with a Borgeson box if the truck is lifted?
Aftermarket drop pitman arms won't fit. Unless heavily modified (they list it on their website). They stopped making the 120 series box which came with the adapter to use the stock steering shaft and even took the factory pitman arm. I was going to get them, saw that and said no (my truck is lifted). Then thought I'll try Blue top they were sold out. Had to many problems with Redhead so I'm stuck with the crappy AutoZone box that is more loose then a $2 hooker. (Hey you you won't find any spelling errors I proof read )
EDIT: They won't fit if you got a steering box brace either

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 11-08-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:53 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Aftermarket drop pitman arms won't fit. Unless heavily modified (they list it on their website). They stopped making the 120 series box which came with the adapter to use the stock steering shaft and even took the factory pitman arm. I was going to get them, saw that and said no (my truck is lifted). Then thought I'll try Blue top they were sold out. Had to many problems with Redhead so I'm stuck with the crappy AutoZone box that is more loose then a $2 hooker. (Hey you you won't find any spelling errors I proof read )
EDIT: They won't fit if you got a steering box brace either
The part about the steering box brace is not accurate. I have a steering box brace on my truck and it is specific to the Borgeson box, as the Borgeson box sets out off the frame (about 1/2" if I recall correctly) farther than the stock box. There are places that make a brace that works with the Borgeson box now (for example - http://www.spohn.net/shop/1994-1999-...ring-Box.html). As for aftermarket drop pitman arms, I suspect that Borgeson did not trial fit them for clearances, so each person is on their own for them, however, my stock pitman arm installed onto the Borgeson box without issue. I did have to deal with the alignment after installing it to compensate for the change in the steering output shaft location (the 1/2" movement further off the frame).

Old 11-08-2018, 07:11 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
The part about the steering box brace is not accurate. I have a steering box brace on my truck and it is specific to the Borgeson box, as the Borgeson box sets out off the frame (about 1/2" if I recall correctly) farther than the stock box. There are places that make a brace that works with the Borgeson box now (for example - http://www.spohn.net/shop/1994-1999-...ring-Box.html). As for aftermarket drop pitman arms, I suspect that Borgeson did not trial fit them for clearances, so each person is on their own for them, however, my stock pitman arm installed onto the Borgeson box without issue. I did have to deal with the alignment after installing it to compensate for the change in the steering output shaft location (the 1/2" movement further off the frame).
I still can't risk they kind of money and it not work with my lift

Old 11-09-2018, 05:32 AM
I WILL RULE YOU!
Amateur

So far, from what I have researched, I am probably going to go with the Blue top. Does anyone know of any fit up problems, or if it is a direct fit?

Old 11-09-2018, 07:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,959 Posts

Originally Posted by I WILL RULE YOU!
So far, from what I have researched, I am probably going to go with the Blue top. Does anyone know of any fit up problems, or if it is a direct fit?
*should* be a direct fit. So far, I think only one member here has installed one. (and relatively recently at that. Might try and search out that thread.)

Old 11-09-2018, 12:07 PM
I WILL RULE YOU!
Amateur

I'll try and find it. The dude there told me it does. Trying to find more information on them.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:23 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by I WILL RULE YOU!
I'll try and find it. The dude there told me it does. Trying to find more information on them.
They were sold out of the ones for our trucks for approximately 3 months.... They said they are waiting on cores to come back

Old 11-09-2018, 04:05 PM
I WILL RULE YOU!
Amateur

Hey You I just talked to them again and they have a few available. If I can I believe I will be able to order it next week. He quoted me 265 , plus refundable core 150 and shipping 26. He also recommended a brace and bearing that bolts on the end at the pitman arm. They don't carry that though. I tried to find that thread that was mentioned but I am still trying to learn this site. Never been in a forum before.

Quick Reply: 1st time builder