2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Potential Truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 02:02 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Before you judge us all wrong who actually live here for the past 18 years, know that there is rust here: it's called rain and the Pacific ocean's salty air. Another factor is everything out west gets used HARD. Every truck is lifted, tuned, piped, off-roaded, and been towing for all of it's 250k life over steep mountains. Trucks out here are BEAT UP. They may not have all the rusted panels you have from road salt, but they don't all live in a garage either. It is very hard to find anything that's stock or clean. And that's why every single one for sale is way too high. There's been a truck bubble since 2000. And you chose the worst cummins ad link to make your point. No paint? A paint job is 4-6k. Add that to the price and now you're well over it's value. Stay on the east coast, please.
Wasn't meant to be personal. You are right, there are no apples to apples comparison between the OP link cummins and something listed out there. The whole body on the OP link needs to be addressed, completely rotted out everywhere. A necessary paint job is as close as you're going to get, and its still not a good comparison due to the body rot. Repairing or replacing all that steel is going to be time intensive if you do it yourself, and at the end - it is still going to need to be painted like the link I posted. A body shop would tell you to junk it. I've restored alot of rusted specimens. Its cheaper and faster to invest more in a non-rusted candidate and focus on mechanical restoration.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Wasn't meant to be personal. You are right, there are no apples to apples comparison between the OP link cummins and something listed out there. The whole body on the OP link needs to be addressed, completely rotted out everywhere. A necessary paint job is as close as you're going to get, and its still not a good comparison due to the body rot. Repairing or replacing all that steel is going to be time intensive if you do it yourself, and at the end - it is still going to need to be painted like the link I posted. A body shop would tell you to junk it. I've restored alot of rusted specimens. Its cheaper and faster to invest more in a non-rusted candidate and focus on mechanical restoration.
Easier too. I suck at body work....... not to mention, I hate doing it.

There are places out west where these trucks are dirt cheap. Mid-western, desert states for the most part. You can find a pristine body, that just needs the paint cleaned up. Check places like Phoenix, Flagstaff, or even Las Vegas. (and have some fun when you go get your new truck. )

Old 12-10-2018, 01:15 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Easier too. I suck at body work....... not to mention, I hate doing it.

There are places out west where these trucks are dirt cheap. Mid-western, desert states for the most part. You can find a pristine body, that just needs the paint cleaned up. Check places like Phoenix, Flagstaff, or even Las Vegas. (and have some fun when you go get your new truck. )
With work, I'm not able to take a short vacation until March of 2019, and for that I'll be in illinois, so I'm stuck with the Ohio region :/
The owner of that blue cummins isnt available until Friday of this week, so we'll see what happens then. The second link that I originally posted, that truck has a check engine light, that's the only thing about it that I'm concerned about. Other than that, that truck seems mint. If the cummins does not work out, I'll go check out that one.

Mechanically, from the ad, what do you think about the cummins post? With the other information given...
Thanks

Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I am just not a fan of diesel engines. You pay a premium price for them, any repairs are expensive, and maintenance is also more expensive. The improved fuel economy over gas simply isn't worth the added expense to me. (and also, fuel is more expensive as well....) Unless you regularly do heavy towing, I just don't see the need for a diesel.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:01 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I am just not a fan of diesel engines. You pay a premium price for them, any repairs are expensive, and maintenance is also more expensive. The improved fuel economy over gas simply isn't worth the added expense to me. (and also, fuel is more expensive as well....) Unless you regularly do heavy towing, I just don't see the need for a diesel.
Key word is regularly. Everyone thinks it you your something heavy say 3 times a year you need a diesel engine, which isn't correct. The biggest argument is they will last longer then a gas engine which isn't true either.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Key word is regularly. Everyone thinks it you your something heavy say 3 times a year you need a diesel engine, which isn't correct. The biggest argument is they will last longer then a gas engine which isn't true either.
Exactly. I have the 8.0 in my truck, and I regularly saw ads for them with 280K plus miles. Mine only had 132K...... So, I figger it should last a good long time.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:58 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran

With all the advice and other input from friends, I think I wanna go with the manual gasser: https://erie.craigslist.org/cto/d/20...761678752.html

It has a check engine light though, which will not pass an inspection here in ohio, which I've never dealt with lol. Is it possible to clear the code for just a little while? Or possibly turn the light off...

Old 12-11-2018, 05:41 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaw91097
With all the advice and other input from friends, I think I wanna go with the manual gasser: https://erie.craigslist.org/cto/d/20...761678752.html

It has a check engine light though, which will not pass an inspection here in ohio, which I've never dealt with lol. Is it possible to clear the code for just a little while? Or possibly turn the light off...
You can clear the code but it might come back. Could pull the bulb if they don't plug a scanner in to check for codes. But if they plug in a scanner you are screwed lol

Old 12-11-2018, 09:28 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran

He sent me a few pictures of the bay. It’s kinda hard to see, but there is a plug that is not plugged in, it’s on those hard lines, I believe it’s to the AC condenser? I’m not sure what it goes to, but I know it needs to be hooked up, but would that cause the check engine light?

Old 12-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran

Quick Reply: Potential Truck