2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gen performance

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 08:51 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by wca_tim
What kind of a set-up did you use? If it's in a thread on here, sorry for being lazy... :-) Thanks! Tim
Tim, I have a TCP shroud with 2 Derale 16” fans (18916) and a Flex-a-lite controller (33054).

PS the fans are supposed to be 1980CFM each.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:08 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage

Tim, I have a TCP shroud with 2 Derale 16” fans (18916) and a Flex-a-lite controller (33054).

I might look into this just for the fact of a cleaner engine bay. I also am going to add a helper fan to the front of the A/C condensor for when you are sitting still.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:17 AM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks man,

I'm interested for my frankenvan rather than my truck... It has oversized AC condenser and compressor to support cooling in the back and I just added another, larger transmission cooler when I converted it to 4wd. Between the added weight from the conversion and plating the frame, additional drive train load, heat from a higher stall converter, etc... I'm looking for additional heat removal - especially for times of higher demand / lower speed... (summer offroad exploring in the woods / mountains, and deep sand on the north Carolina Beaches).

I'm also thinking that removing the fan might open up an easy spot to add a v-belt pulley to drive a compressor for onboard air...

Originally Posted by Spillage

Last edited by wca_tim; 12-17-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:39 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Thanks man,

I'm interested for my frankenvan rather than my truck... It has oversized AC condenser and compressor to support cooling in the back and I just added another, larger transmission cooler when I converted it to 4wd. Between the added weight from the conversion and plating the frame, additional drive train load, heat from a higher stall converter, etc... I'm looking for additional heat removal - especially for times of higher demand / lower speed... (summer offroad exploring in the woods / mountains, and deep sand on the north Carolina Beaches).

I'm also thinking that removing the fan might open up an easy spot to add a v-belt pulley to drive a compressor for onboard air...
Extreme Air makes a kit for the 5.9 and 5.2 (both gas). They allows you to keep your AC compressor and it's better then a York. The kit is $1600 for everything. It didn't use oil like the your so you don't need a separator

Old 12-17-2018, 09:51 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

An engine oil cooler will help keep temps down also.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:47 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I used an LS1 camaro dual fan. It fit really well. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...r-special.html

Old 12-18-2018, 11:54 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Coincidentally I am currently awaiting a few eBay deliveries of a stock diameter serpentine alternator pulley and steel 6.31" V-Groove pulley supposedly off a lawn mower along with York ER210R, tank and other assorted doodads. I decided to make a nice pulley for myself I figure will put me in the 6-7cfm @ idle range. All this because I recently found a mounting bracket kit for sale on another forum which is also on it's way.

That in itself makes e-fan worth it but I also have the TCP fan shroud, did the efans a while back... and e-fans ended up being one of my favorite upgrades. After all the forum e-fan bashing, I went in really skeptical. Best nothing I ever felt... Kind of like my air intake. Surprised me how much difference it did make.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:11 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Ugly1
Coincidentally I am currently awaiting a few eBay deliveries of a stock diameter serpentine alternator pulley and steel 6.31" V-Groove pulley supposedly off a lawn mower along with York ER210R, tank and other assorted doodads. I decided to make a nice pulley for myself I figure will put me in the 6-7cfm @ idle range. All this because I recently found a mounting bracket kit for sale on another forum which is also on it's way.

That in itself makes e-fan worth it but I also have the TCP fan shroud, did the efans a while back... and e-fans ended up being one of my favorite upgrades. After all the forum e-fan bashing, I went in really skeptical. Best nothing I ever felt... Kind of like my air intake. Surprised me how much difference it did make.
I had a York and they are a lot of trouble/hassle. I have a Extreme Air compressor that is 6cfm the York is 4cfm at idle. Mine runs off the AC pump

Old 12-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I had a York and they are a lot of trouble/hassle. I have a Extreme Air compressor that is 6cfm the York is 4cfm at idle. Mine runs off the AC pump
How was your York setup a hassle for you?

The Yorks output varies based on rotational speed. Within rotational speed limit of 6k, more rotational speed increases output. At max RPM's of 6k at it would be putting out over 10CFM at working load. All you have to do to pump up output is increase rotational speed. My custom pulley will allow for more air capacity than I'll ever use. I probably wouldn't even need the 3 gallon tank I ordered. With the Kilby overdrive pulley tests show you can expect around 3.2cfm at idle. My custom pulley should double that and then some, at 6.31" in diameter, and mine will have the benefit of not over driving the alternatorsince I'm using an oem serpentine pulley.

Per my research there isn't an electric, piston driven pump system that can hold a candle to those numbers at load. Even the dual piston ARB would never keep up with those numbers. They all have greatly reduced output at higher pressure you'd be running air tools at.

For example the high output ExtremeAire is only rated for 1,5cfm at 90psi. That won't run any air tools without a huge storage tank and waiting around all the time to refill it. The York keeps on putting out whatever it puts out, right up to working load limit.

Then there is the heat problem. Electric motors hate heat. Since I plan to mount my pump under the hood where it will get heat soaked by the engine, I didn't want to spend over $500 for the ARB, have reduced output capacity and system life compared with a properly designed engine driven system.

The biggest downside to engine driven system in my opinion is that I'm going to be forced to install the coelescing oil collection filter and oil return system and the fact you have to be careful about max rpm's These trade-offs seem worth it to me for the extra air capacity and longer system life expectancy.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:11 PM
wca_tim
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah... I was thinking more like spending $100 or less on the on-board air setup (probably only need buy the compressor)... then simply bolting a v-belt pulley right where the fan bolts on now and making a mount for the compressor that would line up and include belt tension adjustment... Note that I have all sorts of pieces, parts, piping, fittings, steel and aluminum stock, lathe, mill, welders, etc... a spare pressure switch / controller and an extra 5 gal tank to mount underneath, then plumb for air fittings inside the rear doors.

Interesting re ls1 camaro electric fan... I may even have one from my C5 laying around... if not, I know where I can get one easily...

Quick Reply: 2nd gen performance