2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd Gen dodge trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 09:45 PM
James Bond 102
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen dodge trans problem

I have a 2000 dodge 1500 4x4 5.9l v8 gas body lift of 3 inches and 35 inch tires

Since I bought it about a month ago it had a trans problem of reving at 3k rpm at 70mph this seems high to me but new to dodge so I dont know and since I bought it when its first taking off in reverse or drive I have to have it up to 2k before the truck even moves but runs fine after warms up and then one day I stopped at a stop sign turned a corner and the truck actted like it's in neutral in all the gears I checked the fluid in neutral and park at idle and both are at the max line colors red and doesn't smell burnt I don't know what's going on just doesn't act like its wanting to shift into gear however was able to get it to slowly move in reverse at around 2k rpm and nothing in drive 2nd or 1st now when it did run before after getting it going and warmed up it would shift fine only other problem before was the 3k rpm at 70mph please help

Last edited by James Bond 102; 12-30-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

I think you have a couple different problems going on there. Do you know what gears you have in the differentials?

Try this: Crawl under your truck, drivers side. On that side of the trans, about halfway back, there is an 8 pin connector the plugs straight down into the top of the valve body. (on the outside of the trans.....) Unplug it. Go for a drive. Or, at least, give it a shot..... Keep in mind, if the truck actually moves, you will have ZERO automatic function. That means, start in first gear, and shift up/down as necessary. Don't go far, just verify that it goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to. You won't get TCC engage, or Overdrive either, but, I suspect you aren't getting Overdrive now..... so, that ones a wash.

If the trans actually goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, it's an electronics problem. In your case, I would replace ALL of them. (governor pressure sensor and solenoid, overdrive, and tcc solenoids, output speed sensor, fluid and filter, band adjustment.)

If the truck still acts strange, or won't move, its rebuild time. So, don't waste any more money on it, just rebuild it.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:23 AM
James Bond 102
Default Re

Ratio is 3.55 do you have a picture of the location of the plug I'm supposed to find I cant find it around there anywhere

Old 12-31-2018, 12:40 AM
James Bond 102
Default Update

Found the plug and it's a no go still acting like it's in neutral

Old 12-31-2018, 07:51 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

Do a pressure test, Might want to bypass the check valve also.

http://www.atraonline.com/manuals/se...0/2000_154.pdf

Old 12-31-2018, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Rebuild time.......

Old 12-31-2018, 04:10 PM
badasr1

If you decide to rebuild it yourself and have never done one yourself and have always been intimidated by them like me. Check out transmission bench.com on you tube or the web site transmissionbench.com watch his class room videos on rebuilding the 46re/47re transmission. The best and most detailed I've seen so far. He move slow enough that you can follow along as you take yours apart and put it back together. You can get all the parts you need from his online store.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by badasr1
If you decide to rebuild it yourself and have never done one yourself and have always been intimidated by them like me. Check out transmission bench.com on you tube or the web site transmissionbench.com watch his class room videos on rebuilding the 46re/47re transmission. The best and most detailed I've seen so far. He move slow enough that you can follow along as you take yours apart and put it back together. You can get all the parts you need from his online store.
This is actually a REALLY good idea. Several members here have rebuilt their own trans, having never been inside one before. There is a LOT of room for upgrades on the 46RE, that if you aren't paying for labor, become mighty appealing. (such as, most of the hard parts from the 47 and 48 transmissions will fit inside the 46 case....... ) You could build a truly bulletproof 46RE, for less than what you would pay for a stock rebuild at a shop.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:49 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
This is actually a REALLY good idea. Several members here have rebuilt their own trans, having never been inside one before. There is a LOT of room for upgrades on the 46RE, that if you aren't paying for labor, become mighty appealing. (such as, most of the hard parts from the 47 and 48 transmissions will fit inside the 46 case....... ) You could build a truly bulletproof 46RE, for less than what you would pay for a stock rebuild at a shop.
I wish someone had a parts list because I want to rebuild mine ( would be my second rebuild on a transmission) as a spare

Old 12-31-2018, 10:04 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by badasr1
I used the transmissionbench.com to rebuild mine. Lot's of performance parts were used. When the old part came out the same performance part went back in. And yes you can.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen dodge trans problem