2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bad oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Thomas VBC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad oil pressure

I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 8.0L v10. On cold starts i was having an issue with my low oil pressure guage going off. It would read zero on start knock for a few seconds till i either revd the engine or turned it off and back on and the guage would then read normal and knock would go away.
My oil pressure sending unit was broken but i didnt think that alone would attribute to the cold start knock i was hearing.
After dropping the oil pan(didn't think i was going to be able to without picking up the motor for clearance but if you remove the pickup tube you can slide the pan out)
i had a broken down gasket totally clogging my pickup screen. and my oil was dark as night.
Im hoping that's the end of my problems but i was thinking it would be a good idea to check the oil pump before i put the pan back on and possibly change my rod bearings since i have the pan out already. i havent done either of those before but figured it couldnt be that hard.
Does anyone know if i can remove my harmonic balancer and get to the oil pump without pulling the radiator? I am also having a hard time finding parts i think im going to need the oil pump relief valve set cant seem to find it. if anyone could help me out with some more information thatd be great thanks

Old 02-10-2019, 01:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Having the radiator out of the way will certainly make your life easier..... These engines also have been know for the cover bolts for the oil pump (the ones on the inside.....) loosening up, and you losing oil pressure that way as well. (just something else to check/address) Oil pumps and such are still available, but yeah, the are getting to be fun to find. If you search by the OEM part number though, google can generally come up with something.

Is you know a bottom end noise? Or is it valvetrain?? Mine rattles pretty good at startup, but, it is indeed valve train for me.

Old 02-10-2019, 01:50 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

I just wanted to say you can't judge oil by it's color. Even fresh oil will turn back within 30 minutes of driving. The oil turning back just means it's doing it's job. I never owned a V10 so listen to HeyYou but everything you mentioned isn't hard to do at all. The only think is try to figure out where the noise is coming from.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Thomas VBC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it was more bottom end I’m not really positive though. Having a hard time getting the connecting rod caps off, they shouldn’t look so scortched or have play like this either I am assuming ?
Trying to upload a video clip don’t think it’s working here’s a YouTube link

Last edited by Thomas VBC; 02-10-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:02 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Thomas VBC
I think it was more bottom end I’m not really positive though. Having a hard time getting the connecting rod caps off, they shouldn’t look so scortched or have play like this either I am assuming ?
Trying to upload a video clip don’t think it’s working here’s a YouTube link
https://youtu.be/LHGDvOH1rjs
No they shouldn't. Might have to get oversized ones.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I don't think the side to side play is as important as bearing clearances......

Old 02-10-2019, 06:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't think the side to side play is as important as bearing clearances......
You got a point there but those are suppose to be tight which tells me they are worn

Old 02-10-2019, 06:11 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Unbolt the cap, pull the cap and bearing off and lets see the bearing and crank journal surface... pay attention to the orientation of the cap and bearing - don't reassemble it reversed. Don't do that unless you already own, or until you have bought a torque wrench!

Last edited by fj5gtx; 02-10-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:23 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would suggest checking that clearance with a feeler gauge and checking the rod/crank clearance with plastigauge. As long as you have it that far torn down.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Torxhead
I would suggest checking that clearance with a feeler gauge and checking the rod/crank clearance with plastigauge. As long as you have it that far torn down.
I suspect we're going to see something nasty under that cap that isn't worth wasting the plastigauge, But good to have on hand - just in case the journal/bearing isn't visibly hosed up.

Quick Reply: bad oil pressure