2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Dodge Ram p1762 after Shift Solenoid/Governor/Transducer Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:41 AM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Make sure a pin isn't bent or broken off on the 8 pin connector. I was chasing a problem like this after I rebuilt the transmission last year. I have a new (free for you) Rostra/Mopar transducer if you're in San Diego.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:00 PM
l33ch
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried unplugging the round 8 pin connector on top of the transmission and plugging it back in. I cannot see the pins where where I am, but kinda felt for them, didn't feel anything too weird.

One thing I noticed, but maybe not cause for alarm is that the 8 pin connector that plugs into the top of the transmission, while it seems to lock and everything, it doesn't really travel that far down towards the transmission..i.e. it doesn't go "flush" to the bottom, but travels maybe 1/4 inch down into the socket then stops. I wiggled, pressed hard make sure it doesnt come out, I think it's in there.

I also checked the wires plugging into the pcm on the firewall, the wires were a bit dusty, but I didn't see any obvious breaks or anything. However, one thing to note is that this is a 2000 Dodge, and the date code on the ecu/pcm says 2003 . . . So the computer has been changed before, which I did not know beforehand.

I don't really have the skill-set to troubleshoot hardcore electrical issues, diag pins, ohms, grounding out, thats beyond me.

Last edited by l33ch; 04-14-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Use a flashlight, and a mirror to look at the pins in the trans. Doesn't sound like the connector is going down far enough, but, if it locks in....... not sure what more to expect from it.....

Old 04-14-2019, 05:33 PM
l33ch
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Use a flashlight, and a mirror to look at the pins in the trans. Doesn't sound like the connector is going down far enough, but, if it locks in....... not sure what more to expect from it.....
Stole my gf's make up mirror and disconnected the 8 pin connector. I was able to see all 8 pins pointing straight up. Also, I was wrong, it does not lock in. Despite my best efforts, the connector will only go so far, and if I jiggle it a bit/pull wire a little it will eventually come undone. I head a whoosh fluid sound/pop when I take off the connector, so it does go in some. But it doesnt go all the way down. Would my overdrive light not work if that connector wasn't seated all the way? Because I can still turn OD on and off via the shift button, which is why I as assuming the connector was reaching far down. I cannot get it further down, and the pins look ok. I took a picture. Not of the pins (I only have 2 hands), but heres a pic of the connector as furthest I could get it. I really tried to pull down/jiggle to try to get it further down, and I couldn't do it.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by l33ch
Stole my gf's make up mirror and disconnected the 8 pin connector. I was able to see all 8 pins pointing straight up. Also, I was wrong, it does not lock in. Despite my best efforts, the connector will only go so far, and if I jiggle it a bit/pull wire a little it will eventually come undone. I head a whoosh fluid sound/pop when I take off the connector, so it does go in some. But it doesnt go all the way down. Would my overdrive light not work if that connector wasn't seated all the way? Because I can still turn OD on and off via the shift button, which is why I as assuming the connector was reaching far down. I cannot get it further down, and the pins look ok. I took a picture. Not of the pins (I only have 2 hands), but heres a pic of the connector as furthest I could get it. I really tried to pull down/jiggle to try to get it further down, and I couldn't do it.
That doesn't look far enough when the weather clears I'll get a picture of mine

Old 04-14-2019, 06:49 PM
PR1AWRet
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The one clip is locked in, you can tell because the clip is open on the top and clipped in on the bottom. The rest of the connector looks even all the way around and assume the other side is clipped in. It almost goes flush on the inside as that was where my pin was bent to. Feeling, is good to a point, pictures from the phone camera, priceless. Yea, it's a pain to get off.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:38 PM
l33ch
Amateur

I tried to take a picture of the pins again, but i couldn't do it..wouldn't come out. I was holding a fashlight in my mouth, while holding the mirror and phone..but got better look at pins, and they look straight. I looked around the female connector for any debris or anything impeding it and found nothing. It just won't go down any further. heres the best pic i was able to take. not very good tho.

Last edited by l33ch; 04-14-2019 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the connector keyed? Not plugging it in rotated a bit off are you? That doesn't look like it is going down far enough....... how do the contacts look on the male side?

Old 04-14-2019, 08:45 PM
l33ch
Amateur

Yes, I tried rotating it 180 degrees and it just sits on the top, doesn't go in. reverse it and it goes in but only about 1/4 inch as shown in pictures. Front under the truck, I tried to use arm curl strength and my weight to try to "bring it down" but it just wont budge. I checked around the rubber insulator and can't see anything that would stop/impede it. The contacts on the male side (on the transmission) look erect. I don't see any bending. I tried twisting it a little/wiggle as I tried to seat it down from the top, and it only goes so far down. I dunno if the connect is too shallow or something and bottoms out but doesn't lock.

I might have a shop look at it. If it's as stupid as that, and a quick cheap fix, maybe someone stronger than I, can get it to go down, cool. I tried it about 20 times, and I just can't get it to go down any more. I admit, this could be the cause of the issues, if one or more pins not making solid contact. But it just won't budge down any more.

* The internal transmission harness was also replaced originally when I pulled the valve body. The connector does seem to go out of the case high enough. I do remember that that connector was locked in with the original internal harness. I got the tcc/od solenoid as part of the kit. I think it was a rostra. When I did the job last year, the truck ran good for about 2 weeks, then got the code, so I dont know if I had a decent enough electrical connection then for some reason, and now it's not in far enough..I have no idea. If I can get it further in, I would, but I just can't.

Last edited by l33ch; 04-14-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, and its in a fun spot to get to.......

How deep into the female connector are the pins? Do you think they stick up far enough to make contact with it as is? Is maybe one pin on the male side of the connector wallowed out, so it doesn't get a good grip on the pin?? Or maybe one is collapsed to much, preventing the connector from going in all the way??

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge Ram p1762 after Shift Solenoid/Governor/Transducer Replacement