2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 12:15 AM
maraian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering stabilizer

I need to instal a steering stabilizer and would like to see pics of any bodies setup so I have a better idea how to do it. There is currently no stabilizer on my truck so I can’t see how it is supposed to be mounted. This is 4x4 setup.
It is a simple setup for one stabilizer with a bracket off to the passenger side and a threaded hole in the middle of the tie rod. Detailed pics showing the overall layout and the bushing, washer, stud and nut setup would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by maraian; 07-24-2019 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,296 Likes on 3,042 Posts

What makes you think you need one? Neither of my trucks had one that actually did anything. On my 98, it simply isn't there.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:01 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 586 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by maraian
I need to instal a steering stabilizer and would like to see pics of any bodies setup so I have a better idea how to do it. There is currently no stabilizer on my truck so I can’t see how it is supposed to be mounted. This is 4x4 setup.
It is a simple setup for one stabilizer with a bracket off to the passenger side and a threaded hole in the middle of the tie rod. Detailed pics showing the overall layout and the bushing, washer, stud and nut setup would be appreciated. Thanks!
Are you sure you need a stabilizer and your panhard bar isn't worn out? I've used stabilizers in the past but only under severe duty. A worn panhard bar will let you get an immediate wobble at times.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:58 AM
maraian

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Are you sure you need a stabilizer and your panhard bar isn't worn out? I've used stabilizers in the past but only under severe duty. A worn panhard bar will let you get an immediate wobble at times.
There used to be one there but it was removed. The truck has a slight lift and big tires. Also, I haul a boat with it and I dont want to be rolling down the road with my Boat that is close to tow capacity for the truck and have the wheels start wobbling on me. Id rather just install it back.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:54 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 59 Likes on 54 Posts

Purpose of the stabilazer is not to cure the wobble, it's more of a dampener when you are offroading or driving over the curb where you have chance of getting steering wheel hit your fingers . If there is wobble present, you should fix the actual problem than just cover it.
I don't have stabilazer, it's been gone years because I haven't got myself to build a bracket for the tierod to mount the stabilazer. I have huge amount of death wobble, and it starts really easily. And for good reason; trackbar bushings are shot, streering box is loose and at least one tierod end has little play in it. Haven't really driven it last two months, way scary and don't have time to fix it. But no stabilazer would even remotely cure that DW I'm having.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:25 PM
maraian

Thanks for the input, but the purpose of this thread is to get a little help with some pics of a stabilizer setup. Can anyone help?

Old 07-24-2019, 01:29 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Thanks for the input, but the purpose of this thread is to get a little help with some pics of a stabilizer setup. Can anyone help?
Most people here don't run them. Im lifted with 40in tires and tow and I don't have one

Trending Topics

Old 07-24-2019, 05:41 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

There used to be one there but it was removed. The truck has a slight lift and big tires. Also, I haul a boat with it and I dont want to be rolling down the road with my Boat that is close to tow capacity for the truck and have the wheels start wobbling on me. Id rather just install it back.
If you want to run a stabilizer, it's your truck, go for it. The last one I put on had instructions and brackets in the package. There is a bracket that attaches to the frame, drivers side I think, and another bracket that is attached to the passenger side tie rod. (The long one.) One end attaches to the frame bracket and the other end of the shock goes to the bracket on the tie rod. Pretty simple. I think this link will show you how it goes.

https://search.aol.com/aol/image?p=r...pg&action=clic

Now, if you're at your limit towing, you'll be better off going with an equilizer hitch. It takes some of the tongue weight and transfers it to your front wheels. Hopefully your trailer has brakes.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:57 PM
maraian

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
If you want to run a stabilizer, it's your truck, go for it. The last one I put on had instructions and brackets in the package. There is a bracket that attaches to the frame, drivers side I think, and another bracket that is attached to the passenger side tie rod. (The long one.) One end attaches to the frame bracket and the other end of the shock goes to the bracket on the tie rod. Pretty simple. I think this link will show you how it goes.

https://search.aol.com/aol/image?p=r...pg&action=clic

Now, if you're at your limit towing, you'll be better off going with an equilizer hitch. It takes some of the tongue weight and transfers it to your front wheels. Hopefully your trailer has brakes.
Thanks, I looked into an equalizer hitch, but they don’t seem to be intended to be used with boat trailers, especially those with surge brakes as mine has.
And thanks for the link, you are better at google than I, my results were crap, yours shows a setup just like mine, thanks again!!

Last edited by maraian; 07-24-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:17 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

Thanks, I looked into an equalizer hitch, but they don’t seem to be intended to be used with boat trailers, especially those with surge brakes as mine has.
And thanks for the link, you are better at google than I, my results were crap, yours shows a setup just like mine, thanks again!!

Yeah, they will negate surge brakes as the arms will hold the trailer back and not let the master cylinder compress. Thinking about it, I guess you wouldn't want electric brakes where they go under water. I live 2 miles from the Ohio river but never go out on it. I spent too much time looking for and recovering people in it.

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer