2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020 | 05:05 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Here at the shop now. Had one last question? Does anyone know if the green and red ground wire on the coil packs hooks to the valve cover or the upper plenum? About the only wire that looks like it could go either place? Can't remember which bolt I loosened to remove it?

Old 02-17-2020 | 05:43 PM
racefan41
Captain

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
Here at the shop now. Had one last question? Does anyone know if the green and red ground wire on the coil packs hooks to the valve cover or the upper plenum? About the only wire that looks like it could go either place? Can't remember which bolt I loosened to remove it?
On mine it bolts to the valve cover. It actually plugs into a little black box that is bolted to the valve cover. Not sure what that box is.

Old 02-17-2020 | 05:45 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Roger. That's where I had it attached. Don't matter! I didn't fix anything! Just wasted time and money! If this truck wasn't so heavy I would push it off the cliff! POS!

Old 02-17-2020 | 05:47 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Wouldn't start so I pulled the plugs. One broke and 8 of the ten were wet!! I could hear the water trickling into the cylinders after I put water in it. Cracked heads is what I figured. Cracked heads or faulty manifold? Losing interest! Don't have anymore time to waste!

Old 02-17-2020 | 05:49 PM
racefan41
Captain

Damn, that sucks big.

Old 02-17-2020 | 05:52 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Kinda how life has been going the last year or so! My lady of seven years hit menopause. Blamed it on me and gave me the boot! I built her a house and paid for her cancer medicine and all her bills while she fought the battle. She survived and this is the thanks I get! Been a downhill slide since!

Life, I suppose? Nobody said it would be easy. Just have to figure out my next move?

Old 02-17-2020 | 06:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Life has pretty much a 100% mortality rate. Trick is, do what you can, with what you got, while you can. Don't worry 'bout the rest of it.

Gonna pull the heads again?

Old 02-17-2020 | 06:42 PM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran

Pulled the plugs. Going to get WD40 to hose the cylinders down and then leave it alone for a bit. Gotta process thru this and figure out my next move? Run n out of time to waste on this rig! I have a 102 year old boat that is reason my truck is dead! Spent so much time on the boat. I neglected the truck! But, this will be the fifth engine I've killed! Get n pretty good at it! Don't even have to try and they die! Is what it is! Crying over spilled milk ain't my style! Pick myself up. Brush off the dirt and go do something else! I have a Detroit diesel to go work on now! At least it runs!! It used to anyways. Before I started work n on it? If it don't start. I'm walking away from everything and relocated! F*#k it!

Old 02-18-2020 | 12:25 AM
Stitch Mitchell
|
Veteran
Default Bad intake manifold?

So how does an engine fill up with water if you know the gaskets are good? Seems to me, it would have to be flowing thru the intake manifold?
After all, the intake is the weak link being that it's aluminium! That will give way under extreme heat before the cast iron heads and block, correct? Maybe? Reaching now. But my diesel mechanic said if all the cylinders are full. It's coming from the top of the engine. He also said if the cylinders were full when I tried to start it I would've bent some push rods? I had all the push rods out. Never rolled any of them on the table to see if they were bent? I've seen bent push rods! These looked nothing like the bent ones I've seen?

Saw an intake manifold for less then $100 on eBay!

Last edited by Stitch Mitchell; 02-18-2020 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2020 | 12:50 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Stitch Mitchell
So how does an engine fill up with water if you know the gaskets are good? Seems to me, it would have to be flowing thru the intake manifold?
After all, the intake is the weak link being that it's aluminium! That will give way under extreme heat before the cast iron heads and block, correct? Maybe? Reaching now. But my diesel mechanic said if all the cylinders are full. It's coming from the top of the engine. He also said if the cylinders were full when I tried to start it I would've bent some push rods? I had all the push rods out. Never rolled any of them on the table to see if they were bent? I've seen bent push rods! These looked nothing like the bent ones I've seen?

Saw an intake manifold for less then $100 on eBay!
If coolant flows through the heads and they are cracked that's where it is coming from.

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles