2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles

Good day to everyone! I'm Stitch Mitchell, new to the site. My 96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD distributorless ignition and 214,000 miles started running very rough the other day. It starts right up every time. It does however idle very rough and lacks power bad. When I go up a hill it sputters, backfires and barely makes it up the hill. Gas mileage is down to 7mpg from a stellar 12! I brought it to my mechanic and he said change the temperature coolant sensor. 28$ later, it didn't fix anything! Next he tested the fuel pressure, of which I replaced the fuel pump a year and a half ago. The tester needle bounced around between 38-50 psi. So we changed the fuel pressure regulator. Tested it again and it seemed to only bounce between 46-50 psi. We then did the key on-off-on-off-on to get a code and it thru a code 12. Last month I went to get in it and start it. The ignition didn't even click. Had to pop the hood and wiggle the ground cable on the battery. Seems as though it's in some kind of safe mode? Checked for vacuum leaks, checked the coil packs for spark, checked the wires, which are after market 8mm with heavy insulators so the headers don't melt them. She's got us stumped so far! Cheers to everyone! Thanks for listening

Last edited by Stitch Mitchell; 07-26-2019 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 07-26-2019, 07:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

No codes? That seems to be a V-10 thing.... my 98 had a dead miss on once cylinder, and never set a code......

Need to test spark on several cylinders. There are two coil packs, one deals with four cylinder, the other deals with the other six. Check at least two plugs on each coil pack. Make sure you are getting good spark.

Fuel pressure is likely adequate. If this is something that came on suddenly, I would suspect one of your coil packs has failed.

Moving this to Second Gen Ram section for ya.

Welcome to DF!

The following users liked this post:
Stitch Mitchell (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

Thanks Hey you for the response. We tested every spark plug and both coil packs. Sounded like a lightning storm! They are sparking very well! My mechanic said the next thing to do is a compression test? He thinks the timing chain might be stretched having over 200k on it.
I'm thinking that code 12 is telling me maybe the battery doesn't have enough voltage to run the ECU and it's in fail safe mode? The battery is from 2012 and the ground cable is suspect at best! I put an after market battery post connector on it a few years ago! This truck has been rock solid most its life! It doesn't smoke, it doesn't leak a drop of oil. The tranny is showing its age. But the engine, until recently, has been a runner! We'll figure it out! Cheers y'all!

Old 07-27-2019, 09:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I would address that battery connector first. Improper voltage will indeed make them run funny.

Pull the front O2 sensors out of the exhaust, go for a drive. Yeah, it'll be loud, but, does it run better?

Old 07-27-2019, 10:02 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

I forgot to mention I changed the passenger side 02 sensor a few months ago and when I put the headers on it six years ago the cats were plugged so I had them removed! I live on an island in Alaska and don't have to do emissions test! There's only 30 miles of road! Top speed is 55mph on this rock! But will definitely try your suggestion of removing the 02 sensors!
I will get another ground cable and probably just buy a new battery? I've had this truck 15 years and have only had two batteries in it! Thanks again HeyYou! I appreciate any advice that comes my way! Cheers!

Last edited by Stitch Mitchell; 07-27-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Adding to it
Old 07-27-2019, 10:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Happy to help.

Clogged cats are obviously not the problem. You have good spark, you have fuel pressure...... (and it's close enough.) What plugs do you have in it?

Old 07-27-2019, 10:22 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

I tuned the truck up in march before I drove thru Canada. I put OE plugs in it. Exactly what the sticker under the hood called for and let me tell you! That number five plug on the driverside you can't even see! Let alone get your hands on it!
I changed the valve cover gaskets last fall. Wow, was that a pain! Had to remove the entire top end of the engine!! Manifold, AC pump, alternator just to get to the passenger side valve cover! Not impressed with dodge on that one!

Old 07-28-2019, 08:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, that's what ya get when you stuff a huge motor in a not-so-huge engine compartment.

I am thinking either injectors, or compression...... Possibly even cam sensor.....

Old 07-28-2019, 08:44 AM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran

The possibilities seem endless? However, the battery and cable are suspect. Have been for a while. The truck has power everything and being a fisherman on a 60 foot boat. I know how important every volt and amp are! So we'll get us a new battery and a new cable.
My mechanic removed the oil filler cap and had me start it. Said you would hear air getting past the rings if compression was bad. There was no air. This truck has never smoked or burned a drop of oil! Even after over 200k! I've used two bottles of Lucas oil stabilizer every oil change! Use it in all my rigs! The truck has been a work horse for decades! Hope this battery and cable are the issue! Hard to work on the truck when I am anchored up in the channel!
I will let you know how it goes! Hopefully we don't have to get into all that technical stuff! Stand by!

Last edited by Stitch Mitchell; 07-28-2019 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Adding to it
Old 08-08-2019, 04:00 PM
Stitch Mitchell
Veteran
Default Changed ground cablr

Afternoon HeyYou! Sorry for the delay. Hunt n season opened on the 1st.

So after parking for a week. She barely started when I turned the ignition? They I turned it off and it wouldn't start at all. I removed the ground cable and reconnected it. She started barely! I drove to the Napa in town and had them build me a new ground wire. She starts up every time now! Still running rough however? I didn't replace the battery yet or remove the O2 sensors. That's next.

Out with the old. In with the new!

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram 2500 v-10 4x4 AT w/ OD 214,000 original miles