2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 3500 is it down for the count?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 09:44 AM
theoleman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 3500 is it down for the count?

My 3500 will not start. It will crank just fine. I am getting fuel to come out the exit side of the fuel filter. I got these codes when it was read P 1689 No communication between the ECM and the injecter pump and 1688 Internal injector pump control failure. That last one was the one I hated to see. Did not read the PO216 death code.

Truck is straight stock with 154000 miles with a DRP fass fuel pump added in Jan of 2018. I had thought it may have been the cam sensor, but that code did not show up. Any thoughts would be helpful. I have had zero problems out of this truck since I added the fass pump. It just died like the switch had been shut off and will turn over fine, but will not start. Wanted some insite before I ordered a new vp44. theoleman

Old 10-02-2019, 09:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Well, you have two codes pointing at the injector pump/module. Not a good sign. Think I would verify the wiring between the two, and if that's good.... bad pump.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:50 AM
theoleman

Thanks for the super fast response. One question, is that the way the pumps quite normally? Just die with no notice of any problems. theoleman

Old 10-02-2019, 09:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

That, I don't know. I have very little experience with diesels...... but, I have been doin' the wrench turning thing for a long time. That said, it's an electronic part. They tend to fail with very little or no notice.

Old 10-02-2019, 11:58 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by theoleman
Thanks for the super fast response. One question, is that the way the pumps quite normally? Just die with no notice of any problems. theoleman
Sometimes they will just die without a notice.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:33 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

Found this googling around:

P1689 (No Communication Between ECM and Injection Pump Controller) - This is usually a sign of PSG failure on the pump, but the customer also needs to check to the wire between ECM and Pump controller to make sure signal is reaching the pump. Also, faulty fuel pump relay can cause this code. Please swap fuel pump relay with horn relay in the fuse panel and see if the truck will run.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:04 PM
theoleman

I did swap the relays around....sad to say no difference. I unhooked the wires from the pump and used a terminal cleaner on them as well. Yesterday I went ahead an ordered a pump from DAP. I am fixing to start taking the old one out in a few minutes. just now got it winched into the bay. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks theoleman

Old 10-05-2019, 09:40 PM
theoleman

I would suggest if someone is anticipating this little job to order one of the vp 44 pump pullers....Its really a pusher. I couldn't find one around this neck of the woods. I did get it to pop loose by using a timing gear puller I got from Autozone. Used the bolts from the air horn because I couldn't find any hard metric bolts locally.Worked ok but the right tool would have been better. Any one about to do this for the first time, it would be good to watch the videos by Diesel Dan on pulling a vp44. I found them at the bottom of the page where I ordered by pump. DAP's site. Make sure you have the keyway on the pump shaft straight up before you pop it out. Mine was a little loose, and if it had been on the side or bottom it would have fell out.

Also don't take the clips off the fuel lines. take the hold down bolts loose and remove them in pairs of three. Those videos will really help....take notes as you watch. theoleman

Old 10-08-2019, 12:09 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My knowledge is more with the common rail cummins, but I do know the injection pumps on your cummins are known to be an issue. I think you are headed in the right direction. Also the pcm's are known to be an issue on your cummins too, but not nearly as often as your injection pump.

Something to add while your're doing the pump, install a pressure gauge before your injector pump. That will give you warning as to the health of your lift pump if/when it starts to fail.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:47 PM
theoleman

I got it running yesterday. On the 99 there are two test ports on the fuel filter. I put my pressure gauge on the exit side of the filter and when it crankd up at idle it has 20 lbs of pressure so the FASS pump is doing ok. I am going to quit putting off getting a presure gauge in the cab though. I put a new crank position sensor in when I had the pump out as well. Its just too hard to get to not to replace it when you can just reach down and pull it out. theoleman

Quick Reply: 99 3500 is it down for the count?