2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 1500 5.9 p1762

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 09:48 PM
LoboJones
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 1500 5.9 p1762

First time poster, and first time dodge owner. Back in April I bought this old 98 ram 148k on the ticker.

driving home from work the other day coasting down a hill getting ready to make a sharp turn and as I navigated through the corner and got on the gas it acted like it found neutral. Gulp. Let off and eased back into it and it hooked up and drove/shifted fine. Check engine came on shorty thereafter. Pulled the code and it’s a P1762. Oh no!

So I’ve done a little reading about this, and think I have the capabilities to repair if it’s the gov sensor. I’ll replace the O2 sensors anyway since they’re old and crusty and likely the originals.

So my question. What is the correct part number(s) for this repair? Looking on Rockauto and there’s a handful of different sensors and pressure related components. Just trying to be sure I’m getting the right stuff.

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2019, 06:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

You should have the 46RE trans. Get the borg warner heavy duty governor pressure sensor/solenoid set. (can get the output speed sensor as well, if you are feelin' froggy.) While you are in there, change the fluid/filter, and adjust the bands. If you don't find anything odd in the pan when you drop it, that *should* take care of the issue.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:41 AM
LoboJones

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You should have the 46RE trans. Get the borg warner heavy duty governor pressure sensor/solenoid set. (can get the output speed sensor as well, if you are feelin' froggy.) While you are in there, change the fluid/filter, and adjust the bands. If you don't find anything odd in the pan when you drop it, that *should* take care of the issue.
So, I see no Borg Warner on Rock Auto. Not that I have to use them, but I was going to be placing an order for some other things anyway. Rock auto lists a handful of governors and sensors with similar names. First time in an auto trans for me. I’ve done some moderately complex repairs and fixes in the past, including dropping and replacing a trans, just never cracked one open other than to replace a filter and fluid change. I was one of the original members to pioneer the Ford 4.6 to 5.4 swap in the f150 pickups. Back when nobody knew what was what.
Just want to get this right.

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2019, 03:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You are correct, I am not seeing them on Rock Auto.

Here is a kit on EBay.

The following users liked this post:
LoboJones (10-12-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 09:20 PM
LoboJones

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You are correct, I am not seeing them on Rock Auto.

Here is a kit on EBay.
Wow, that seems like a great price. Oregon Performance Transmission has a similar kit, at $170. Is Rostra a quality trans component? Only real difference I see is Ebay kit doesn’t list manufacturers for other components. And trans gasket.

Thanks again, you’ve been a big help.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think they are all made by the same manufacturer. But..... if you can find one that lists them as genuine borg warner, for a not-stupid price, go that route.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:21 PM
LoboJones
Default New codes! P1764 P0138

So, I swapped the governor and transducer, 3-4 accumulator spring(old broken) speed sensor on trans, and rear abs sensor. I probably should have went a step farther and dropped the VB and replaced the overdrive and lockup solenoid. But I didn’t. lol.
7 quarts of atf+4 later. Fired her up and CEL popped back on while warming up. Pulled the codes and now it’s a 1764 and 0138. Cleared the codes and drove around for a little while and nothing back on yet. Still waiting on O2 sensors to arrive to swap those out.
0138 is rear downstream sensor Rich correct? How do I not have an upstream sensor showing rich? Regardless I’ll be swapping those when parts arrive. Loads of fun.

Last edited by LoboJones; 10-18-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably just a bad sensor. Replace it, clear the codes, see what happens.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:26 PM
LoboJones

The saga continues. Ok, well my parts arrived. ....Somehow I ended up with two upstream sensors, one 12” and one 18”. I’ll be waiting again for the downstream sensor I’ll let you know when it arrives and what the outcome is.

Just as a general note I’m using Denso sensors.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:05 PM
LoboJones

Just an update. O2 sensors arrived. Swapped out both at the same time. Went for a couple short drives around the house over the weekend.
To work this morning(27 miles one way) and so far no codes and things are working like they should. I’ll keep my fingers crossed and hope that was in fact the issue. Otherwise seems to be operating normal.

Quick Reply: 1998 1500 5.9 p1762