2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear end bouncing after new shoes and drums

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 09:31 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunx89
I’ll take the shoes back off and give them a good cleaning, the leaf springs look fine. No shifting or cracked springs and this only happens when I brake.

As soon as I get in the truck, I have a stop sign down the street and it won’t do it while I’m coming up to it. After I leave that stop sign there’s another one shortly after. When I hit the brake softly (if I start stopping from real far away it’s fine) but when I start to stop like any normal person would the whole truck seems to shake and hop, it’s weird because I feel it coming from the rear. I’m stumped with this! It’s so bad it can’t be driven, I’m aiming towards a brake cylinder or adjuster, if neither fix it I don’t know what else it could be. Today I put it in reverse and hit the brakes firmly, I feel like from doing that it started hopping real bad before I even hit the first stop sign

Your buddy said it was the rear wheels hopping, right? Is it just one side or both sides? If for instance, it's the right side, try swapping the shoes to the other side. If the hop moves, something is wrong with the shoes. It's been 40 or more years since I got something that did that, but you may have contaminated shoes that are grabbing. You can try running a wire brush over the braking surface (wear a dust mask) to scuff them up a bit if both wheels are hopping.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:36 PM
Chunx89
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Your buddy said it was the rear wheels hopping, right? Is it just one side or both sides? If for instance, it's the right side, try swapping the shoes to the other side. If the hop moves, something is wrong with the shoes. It's been 40 or more years since I got something that did that, but you may have contaminated shoes that are grabbing. You can try running a wire brush over the braking surface (wear a dust mask) to scuff them up a bit if both wheels are hopping.
yeah but I haven’t had anybody look since you confirm or get a second opinion. Here’s what they look like now, I pulled them off to see if anything looks odd. I put everything back together, and this time I adjusted them just enough to get the drums back on and it still does it.
https://imgur.com/a/zU7sgqY

Old 10-16-2019, 05:22 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

yeah but I haven’t had anybody look since you confirm or get a second opinion. Here’s what they look like now, I pulled them off to see if anything looks odd. I put everything back together, and this time I adjusted them just enough to get the drums back on and it still does it.
https://imgur.com/a/zU7sgqY

That is not normal wear on the shoes. Are the ends of the shoes seated properly?

Old 10-16-2019, 06:36 PM
Chunx89
Professional

That is not normal wear on the shoes. Are the ends of the shoes seated properly?
i think so? Sorry I have no clue with drums, everything seems to be the way it was, all friction points are lined up with the new shoes. The pins with the springs are straight, To the best of my knowledge they are, maybe the drums are faulty they gave me?

Old 10-16-2019, 06:46 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

That looks like the drums are out of round

Old 10-16-2019, 06:58 PM
Chunx89
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
That looks like the drums are out of round
I also noticed that with my rims back on, one stud seems to be shorter then the others indicating something isn’t right. Of course they’re all the same length and I even checked to see if the stud backed out some but it didn’t. The drum won’t go back anymore, so good possibility it is out of round. My truck shakes very violently, the back bounces and the dash seems like it’s gonna fall off lol

Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Did you clean the grease out of the new drums before you installed them?? They come with a coating that prevents rust.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:43 PM
ol' grouch
Champion

I also noticed that with my rims back on, one stud seems to be shorter then the others indicating something isn’t right. Of course they’re all the same length and I even checked to see if the stud backed out some but it didn’t. The drum won’t go back anymore, so good possibility it is out of round. My truck shakes very violently, the back bounces and the dash seems like it’s gonna fall off lol

A little trick I use to check drums for out of round, and easier than a dial indicator gauge, is to remove the tire and drum. With the truck on jack stands, flip the drum around. Put a piece of rope around the shoes to keep them from blowing the wheel cylinders apart. Put the truck in neutral and start it. Now slip it into gear. Do NOT push on the brake pedal. Now you can watch the drum and see how it spins. A warped drum or bent axle will be obvious. After you check both sides, shut the truck off and let everything coast to a stop. Pay attention to where the oscillation was and go from there.

Clean the drums of preservative if you haven't. I suspect something isn't seated right and that is why one stud is shorter than the others. It's probably some minor thing that once you correct it, we'll all copy Homer Simpson and slap our heads saying Doh!

Old 10-16-2019, 09:51 PM
Chunx89
Professional

A little trick I use to check drums for out of round, and easier than a dial indicator gauge, is to remove the tire and drum. With the truck on jack stands, flip the drum around. Put a piece of rope around the shoes to keep them from blowing the wheel cylinders apart. Put the truck in neutral and start it. Now slip it into gear. Do NOT push on the brake pedal. Now you can watch the drum and see how it spins. A warped drum or bent axle will be obvious. After you check both sides, shut the truck off and let everything coast to a stop. Pay attention to where the oscillation was and go from there.

Clean the drums of preservative if you haven't. I suspect something isn't seated right and that is why one stud is shorter than the others. It's probably some minor thing that once you correct it, we'll all copy Homer Simpson and slap our heads saying Doh!
ill have to try that out, I’m sure i didn’t do something right. Do these things sit correctly easily or do you have to semi hold it together while you work on it? I remember telling myself I need about 8 hands.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

ill have to try that out, I’m sure i didn’t do something right. Do these things sit correctly easily or do you have to semi hold it together while you work on it? I remember telling myself I need about 8 hands.
It can seem like that lol

Quick Reply: Rear end bouncing after new shoes and drums