2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diagnosing rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 07:04 PM
Sledder10
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing rear end noise

Hey all

Need some advice on identifying a noise pretty sure is coming from the rear axle. I don't have a whole lot of experience in this arena so I'll describe best I can.

Noise at slow speeds I can best describe as a scraping. If I'm going slow enough (~10mph) I can hear this "scrape" on each rotation, almost like something spinning has a high spot that hits once per rotation. Speeds up as ground speed increases. Higher speeds its more like a hum. Highway speeds can't hear over wind noise.

I can't say for sure it isn't brakes, but my gut says it's not. I did have a shop look at the brakes when I bought it, they didn't find anything but also were not looking specifically at this noise, they were just giving them a once over.

I can't discern a difference between turning or going straight, or having a load (which is uncommon anyways). Will persist on deceleration. I changed fluid when I got the truck a couple thousand miles ago. Didn't change the noise and for some reason I didn't inspect closer when I had the cover off, but no chunks of metal.

My dad is suspecting spider gears, but wouldn't this show itself more while turning?

I might be overthinking things, it's pretty uncommon for anything besides wheel bearing or worn ring and pinion - right?

If it matters it's a 98 half ton, Chrysler 9.25 no limited slip with 3.55s. 190k miles and little idea how it was treated before I got it other than the girl told me it had big tires on it.
​​​​

Old 12-29-2019, 08:10 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts

The differential carrier bearings are also rotating at wheel speed. Typically the noise changes between load and coasting if the problem is with the ring & pinion or the carrier bearings so I'd exclude that for now. Could still be something with the brakes, otherwise axle shaft bearings or maybe even some metal debris picked up in a tire. I'd put the rear axle on jack stands and turn the wheels slowly.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:22 PM
Sledder10
Professional

We put it on stands and the noise persisted but we were in the garage so difficult to tell if the noise changed. We go to the one drum off the other was stuck too much for how much time we had.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:06 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Reminds me when the drive shaft ujoints went bad. That's where I'd look. Cheap and easy.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:17 PM
Sledder10
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Reminds me when the drive shaft ujoints went bad. That's where I'd look. Cheap and easy.
What would I be looking for? I've checked it for obvious slop, not sure outside of that.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:10 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

They could still be dry. Take the drive shaft off at the rear axle. See if the u-joints move easily and feel smooth. My guess is brakes.

Old 12-30-2019, 12:21 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Ujoints can fool you all the way to actually removing them. Only way to tell is close inspection. Otherwise, I'd be looking at the brake drums for proper adjustment then the pinion bearing.

Old 12-30-2019, 03:17 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Drive down the road and have someone follow you. They need to watch for any wobble in the wheel on either side. Your description doesn't sound like a gear problem. More like a drum rubbing or bent rim or axle.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:00 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A bent dust shield rubbing the drum, or rust build up on the drum rubbing on the dust shield. When I lived in the rust belt in upstate NY, it was one thing I did with rear drum brakes. Beat the rust off the inside of the drum, put it on and turn it, if I heard scraping, I'd beat some more rust off. Never had any customers return with a problem, don't hammer to hard, you'll be buying new drums. Could also be the infamous "ridge" that develops on drum brakes, as the shoes wear, the drum wears, and what the shoe doesn't contact rusts, on the very outside edge of the drum a ridge develops, it could be scraping the edge of the shoes as it goes around, and it'll also keep you from getting them off. If they turn easy, and suddenly get hard to turn as your pulling them off, that's the ridge. I've had to use a slide hammer to get them off before. New shoes, and hardware kit, and a cutting bit in a die grinder to get rid of the ridge.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Rebel has some good ideas there.

I would also spend some time inspecting the brakes. It could be as simple as an out of round drum.

Quick Reply: Diagnosing rear end noise