2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will this trans fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 07:10 PM
Sheldon Fuller
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this trans fit?

Hi, I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500. 5.9. 4wd. Extended cab. Short bed. My trans is out, I bought a trans from a friend and I’m not sure if it’s the right one although he said it was. So I’m trying to find out if it will work or not. So to begin with, there are numbers on the bell housing which read “064-2” . I was told that’s just a manufacturing number. Furthermore there are two numbers one on top of another on the tail housing I believe. Which the top one reads “17904” and the one below it reads “CAV NO 2” can someone please help me determine if it will fit or not before I try to put it in?

Old 01-06-2020, 07:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

How many pins on the connector going straight down into the top of the valve body?

Or, what did the trans come out of?

To be honest, that looks like a three pin trans connector, which means the trans will only partially work, and would need a different torque converter. Trans looks to be 95 or older, which means it is an RH trans, (as in: 46RH, or 44RH....) Your 98 wants a 46RE trans, electronically controlled. That connector would have 8 pins if it was correct. (and I also think it would be round.....)

Old 01-06-2020, 07:29 PM
Sheldon Fuller
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How many pins on the connector going straight down into the top of the valve body?

Or, what did the trans come out of?

To be honest, that looks like a three pin trans connector, which means the trans will only partially work, and would need a different torque converter. Trans looks to be 95 or older, which means it is an RH trans, (as in: 46RH, or 44RH....) Your 98 wants a 46RE trans, electronically controlled. That connector would have 8 pins if it was correct. (and I also think it would be round.....)
Supposedly it came from a 98 Dodge Ram just like mine and which connector am I looking at?

Old 01-06-2020, 07:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

In the third pic down, its the black, oval connector, just above the bend in the cooler line, at the bottom of the pic.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:40 PM
Sheldon Fuller
Professional

In the third pic down, its the black, oval connector, just above the bend in the cooler line, at the bottom of the pic.
it is indeed a 3 pin connector, so with that being said, can I use it still or no? What would partially work?

Old 01-06-2020, 07:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You would get 1-2-3, and that's it, no TCC, no overdrive, and it would REQUIRE a different torque converter.

You would be MUCH better off getting the correct trans.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:46 PM
Sheldon Fuller
Professional

You would get 1-2-3, and that's it, no TCC, no overdrive, and it would REQUIRE a different torque converter.

You would be MUCH better off getting the correct trans.
whats TCC? And I’m not sure if I’d need overdrive just because I keep it off for towing anyway.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Torque Converter Clutch.

It would leave the check engine light on constantly as well, as the PCM would not be getting inputs it expects.... (because those sensors simply are not there. Nor can you add them.)

Old 01-06-2020, 07:51 PM
Sheldon Fuller
Professional

Torque Converter Clutch.

It would leave the check engine light on constantly as well, as the PCM would not be getting inputs it expects.... (because those sensors simply are not there. Nor can you add them.)

so basically it would have first, second, third, reverse, and no over drive while always throwing a code? The transmission came with a torque converter so would that one work?

Old 01-06-2020, 07:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

No, it won't. The 5.9 engines are externally balanced. On the 95 and older trucks, the balance weights were on the torque converter, on the 96 and newer trucks, the balance weights were on the flex plate. Using the torque converter from that trans would put the engine out of balance, and it would vibrate itself to death fairly quickly.

Quick Reply: Will this trans fit?