2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cleaning out my 5.9 V8 and making improvements

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 06:36 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

How hard would it be to drop the oil pan when the timing chain is replaced? You could clean it out while in there, and clean the pick up screen.
I have never dropped the pan on a ram, so I have no idea if its a lot of labor or not....... Just a suggestion that others could answer.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

On a 4x4 truck, you don't even have to lift the motor to pull the pan. I was able to replace my oil pump in less than two hours, on my back, in my driveway. (of course, it was MUCH nice weather at the time.......)

Old 01-11-2020, 12:10 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright guys thanks so much, will put the chain on my list and have as much crap cleaned out as possible as well. If there's any other things that I should do that are a bit on the easier side instead feel free to put in your suggestions. Definitely would like to stay away from major repairs after the timing chain is done. The steering wont be an issue for years and years now that Luke's link is on for the traction bar and everything else has been upgraded as well including a redhead steering gear box which was done with the plenum gasket and all the other front end components besides the wheel bearings . The transmission was rebuilt before I got the truck. I have put almost 30,000 miles on it, the rear end was rebuilt in October along with the e-brake components. Had slightly over 150k when I first got the truck.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:17 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bailey Miller
Alright guys thanks so much, will put the chain on my list and have as much crap cleaned out as possible as well. If there's any other things that I should do that are a bit on the easier side instead feel free to put in your suggestions. Definitely would like to stay away from major repairs after the timing chain is done. The steering wont be an issue for years and years now that Luke's link is on for the traction bar and everything else has been upgraded as well including a redhead steering gear box which was done with the plenum gasket and all the other front end components besides the wheel bearings . The transmission was rebuilt before I got the truck. I have put almost 30,000 miles on it, the rear end was rebuilt in October along with the e-brake components. Had slightly over 150k when I first got the truck.
You're due to change the transmission filter and adjust the bands.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:20 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

Not sure about the bands, I had my mechanic do a transmission service and he put in some copper lines and a new filter in 2018.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:22 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

So will have the bands adjusted then 👍

Old 01-11-2020, 01:29 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bailey Miller
So will have the bands adjusted then 👍
One can be adjusted from outside the transmission. The other band needs the pan removed. There might be instructions in the DIY section.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:31 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

Alright, will check with him to see if they were adjusted. I have a feeling he probably did it because the transmission works pretty damn great for its age.

Old 01-11-2020, 01:34 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

Sadly when I had gotten the transmission serviced at first in September 2018 the lines had blown out a month after so I had to get it serviced again and that's when he put in the copper lines and the new filter so I have a feeling he probably did adjust them.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Bailey Miller
Professional

Do you guys think I should replace the valve cover gaskets? Maybe that's where the little bit of oil is escaping, there isnt much that the truck is losing now that the Intake manifold gaskets and plenum gasket are good. I saw its not to hard to do the valve cover gaskets so was thinking about attempting them. However I dont think they've been replaced before so I'm pretty sure its gonna be a real pain in the a$$ the passenger one looks really nasty.

Quick Reply: Cleaning out my 5.9 V8 and making improvements